School List/WAMC 3.57 GPA 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalstudent#UR

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE
Hello y'all, Like the title says I am need of some outside perspective in making a school list. My gpa and mcat are not the strongest but I don't think they warrant me not applying at all this cycle. A little more info about me is listed below to help:

Ohio resident
Asian/White
1000 hours of research no pubs
600 hours of clinical volunteering
100 hours of nonclinical volunteering
75 hours of shadowing

I would heavily prefer MD but I understand if that is out of range this cycle and was wondering what should I do if I don't get in this cycle.

Schools I have right now in my list:
Wright State
Toledo
Marshall
Northeast Ohio
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

600 hours of clinical volunteering
100 hours of nonclinical volunteering
75 hours of shadowing
You have nothing identifiable that we can quote.

As pointed above, we need details. This is not a transactional process that allows spreadsheet sorting to choose applicants for interview.

NEOMED strongly prefers individuals who will work with rural or urban underserved communities and those who grew up in those environments. Do you qualify? Toledo will be similar for those in NW Ohio/SE Michigan. Boonshoft for SW Ohio. Their thresholds for GPA/MCAT are a little lower to capture individuals who grew up in those areas.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get that nonclinical volunteering > 150 hrs; the more the better, as the schools that will be most welcoming to you are service loving schools. Make sure ot get off campus and out of your comfort zone.
I’ve done some more volunteering overseas helping people with motor disabilities but I’m afraid that might count more as clinical. Like I used to wheel people around in wheelchairs and such. Also do you believe I have a chance at the schools I’ve mentioned or am I just dreaming?

What exactly did you do for your non-clinical volunteering?
For no clinical volunteering I helped make sandwiches for the homeless as part of a school club around once a week for around 2 years. I’ve also helped at a paraplegic center overseas helping patients to the cafeteria, wheeling them around, and such but I don’t know how to classify if that is non clinical or clinical. For clinical volunteering I became an EKG technician

Reactions: 1 user
For no clinical volunteering I helped make sandwiches for the homeless as part of a school club around once a week for around 2 years. I’ve also helped at a paraplegic center overseas helping patients to the cafeteria, wheeling them around, and such but I don’t know how to classify if that is non clinical or clinical. For clinical volunteering I became an EKG technician
You’re certainly below 100 hours then for US-based non-clinical volunteering. Even a 100 is rather low, especially when you were doing this as part of an on-campus activity instead of out in the community.

You may get some interest from a state school (particularly if you are in Neomed, Wright State or Toledo’s footprint) but you really would benefit from another 150 hours helping at a soup kitchen, homeless shelter or food bank. Ohio Heritage is a must to apply to if you are determined to submit this cycle.

You have nothing identifiable that we can quote.

As pointed above, we need details. This is not a transactional process that allows spreadsheet sorting to choose applicants for interview.

NEOMED strongly prefers individuals who will work with rural or urban underserved communities and those who grew up in those environments. Do you qualify? Toledo will be similar for those in NW Ohio/SE Michigan. Boonshoft for SW Ohio. Their thresholds for GPA/MCAT are a little lower to capture individuals who grew up in those areas.
My nonclinical volunteering is working making sandwiches for those in need around once a week for 2 years give or take when school is off. My clinical is working as an EKG technician where I believe my story is strong. I had a heart condition, got diagnosed after years, got surgery, shadowed an EP cardiologist in Kentucky, trained as an EKG tech and have now worked as one for quite some time

My nonclinical volunteering is working making sandwiches for those in need around once a week for 2 years give or take when school is off. My clinical is working as an EKG technician where I believe my story is strong. I had a heart condition, got diagnosed after years, got surgery, shadowed an EP cardiologist in Kentucky, trained as an EKG tech and have now worked as one for quite some time
I'm okay with your ECG tech counting towards clinical experience, and I get the connection with your medical history. Is this part of your 600 hours of clinical volunteering? You don't mention on your first post how many hours you have been a tech.

100 hours over 2 years is still not a lot for showing competency in service orientation. Especially compared to the rest of the pool.

I’ve done some more volunteering overseas helping people with motor disabilities but I’m afraid that might count more as clinical. Like I used to wheel people around in wheelchairs and such. Also do you believe I have a chance at the schools I’ve mentioned or am I just dreaming?
That's clinical.
You're good for your state schools, not for those public OOS ones.

You'll have much better luck with DO schools; beggars can't be choosy.