school or grades more important??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rock_climber

0.1K+ member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay,

Members don't see this ad.

If the state school is one people have heard of, you won't be at any disadvantage. On the other hand if you're considering attending "Butt-Crack State A&M Technical College of Bard", or some such place, then I'd advise you to go somewhere else.

The bottom line is you need to go to school where you'll feel comfortable. You're going to be there for four years, and I'd leave med school considerations out of your thinking. You may not end up wanting to do medicine after college anyway.

You can do just fine coming out of University of Nebraska honors. Getting a good MCAT will help a great deal. If you have the funds for a place like Rice, Emory, ND, or WashU, I'd go that route though. There are a lot of threads on here arguing the validity of undergraduate institutions mattering in the med school process. I think it is inevitable that it matters. However, if you have good scores from a state school, good MCATs, and good activites, you have a good chance. A big name school is an extra advantage, which, personally, can prepare you a great deal for med school. I'm at WashU now, the pre-med here is pretty demanding, but it has paid off a great deal I believe. Also, I would choose a school that offers a lot of options outside of pre-med. I came here thinking I'd try out the science stuff and likely go another route. In case you change your mind, you want to be somewhere that will prepare you well in whatever you choose.
As far as MCAT goes: top score is 45, up till April 2003 it was 43-45 cause of how the verbal was previously structured. A "good" score really depends on what med schools you are aiming at. Many very good schools accept applicants with very low MCAT's. I'd say aiming for the 30 range puts you in decent contention for a good med school. Landing around 35 will likely get you into some top tier school. Reach the 40 mark and well....you're my hero. :p
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
going to state school and getting like a 4.0 (univ. of neb. honors) ......i dunno how hard those classes are I assume hard but yea, i think i could do very well at state school[/B]

You know what they say about assumptions:D

Pick the place that is best for you. Everything else will take care of itself (ASSUMING that you do well at whatever school you attend).

DALA

I had the same choice you did when i came outta high school. I chose Nebraska-Honors. It seems to have worked well for me. I carry a 3.75 w/ a Finance major and a 31 MCAT. I've gotten 6 interviews so far and only one rejection. So dont choose a big name school just for the name. Choose what school fits you best.

On a lighter note~ today I wish I woulda went to UCLA or emory instead b/c its f*cking cold and snowing on campus, that sucked.

It's a double edged sword. A great GPA from a state school will outshine an average to above average GPA from an Ivy. However, a great GPA form an Ivy will always outshine one from a state school.

Would you rather be a king of a small country or a knight in a big country?

If you think you can swing a great GPA from the more prestigious school and don't mind spending the money, go for it.

Im at emory right now, and i think a big portion has to do whether you are comfortable where you are at. nebraska offers you d1 sports, especially football, no matter how crappy they were this season. I had a decision between Oklahoma, Emory, and Vandy, and i chose emory. i will say many times i do regret coming because lack of sports, but more importantly because im away from girlfriend, but educationally i dont regret coming. Its demanding, but its doable. a school like emory, washU, rice, etc are in cities where there is more opportunity, instead of lincoln. Im pretty sure there are going to be more research or medically-related opportunities on those campuses than neb. has (but i could be wrong) i will say that when talking to people, and saying that i go to emory, they look at me with more respect or they are impressed (now im not saying that wont do that for nebraska, but its a top 20 school vs. avg state school). i think educationally top 20 school will be more demanding, because you are competing with some very bright students from aroudn the country (i know neb has bright students too), but generally students at top 20 are more dedicated to studies, etc. remember though, i do regret not being in norman, oklahoma on a saturday afternoon in fall, and im sure you you will probably love lincoln on a saturday in fall. good luck, and congrats!

as someone who transferred from a big state university (texas) to an ivy school, i can tell you to go to the place that makes you happy. i thought i'd save a few bucks and go to a state school for free, even though i could've gone elsewhere. and i ended up hating it. truth is, the material's the same wherever you go (especially in the premed curriculum)....what makes an ivy different from a state school is the kids that go there. the classes certainly aren't any harder--maybe just a higher curve, if even that. don't go to a state school just because you think you can get a higher gpa there...in the end, it won't be worth it.

this is college, you're supposed to enjoy it. do what you want. believe it or not, you can still have fun in college and get into med school. trust me, go to a school where you'll be happy....with the right mindset, the rest will take care of itself.

In my humble opinion to get through life in the most happy, satisfied, successful way one might want to give priority to what you feel (in other words what makes you happy...place, people, style of teaching, subject matter, family or combo of these things, with perhaps many more factors included).

If you are happy etc. then the next step is to shine in whatever you do. No, I do not mean that you have to be the only shining beacon. :) No. What I mean is that be the best you can be. One way is to compete against yourself viz. keep making your goals or standards higher and higher.

So, if I were you i would choose where my special combo thrives (whether ivy or state..it doesn't matter to my special combo), and then give my best to ace and learn (grades). But I am not you. Each person will decide differently their combo of factors.

Now a pinch of salt: Sometimes one has to forget their combo and sacrifice it for something special, here too, only you can choose to sacrifice or retain your special combo of factors.

Your other question...starting 2003, a 45 on the MCAT is possible, and if the person is well rounded in education, extracurriculars, etc. a 30 or above is considered average and worthy of acceptance for some interviews or even a seat, but in my opinion these numbers and qualities on paper become redundant if not followed through to ingrain in your real self.

all the best
Zingy

well, I'm an emory alum an absolutely loved my days as an undergrad. I'd say your decision will become a lot clearer when financial aid packages roll in. My school was rather generous to me, and between merit and need based monies I actually paid less money than I would have to go to penn state. I'm sure nebraska is a fine school, but I'd at least wait until you get an idea of what type of aid or scholarship money you might be getting from those schools.

good luck. and please, dont start worrying about the MCAT for at least another two years :)

Both the mcat and gpa are important. Lacking in either part will land you nowhere.

For what its worth, I go to a very small school, regionally ranked by US News, but nothing exceptional by any means. The school has very little in terms of name brand notoriety, little resources for research, etc. The coursework is still challenging, but going to a small school does not seem to have had a significant impact on my application (6 MD interviews and 2 waitlist/pending second looks from the 8 I have heard from). At one of my interviews the other day the people in my tour group went to cornell, Hopkins, upenn, Columbia, and duke then me with a school where everyone looked confused when I said the name.

If you do well then in the end it shouldn't be a deal breaker, but name brand obviously helps.

Holy necromancy, batman.

Reactions: 2 users
It's always cool to see old posts like this from neurotic premeds and then see they're an attending now.

I'm about to finish up at UVa and I already have 2 acceptances with a total of 12 interview invites and 1 rejection so far (didn't go to all of them, plane tickets are #@$%^&% expensive). My MCAT is pretty good, GPA is kinda poor, and my ECs are interesting but not amazing. So I've got to think UVa (vs xyz regional university) played a part cause I don't have wings, superpowers, or any other unique attributes. Otherwise the pre-med is pretty rigorous here as compared to my friends that go elsewhere, think that helped a lot with my MCAT.

I'm about to finish up at UVa and I already have 2 acceptances with a total of 12 interview invites and 1 rejection so far (didn't go to all of them, plane tickets are #@$%^&% expensive). My MCAT is pretty good, GPA is kinda poor, and my ECs are interesting but not amazing. So I've got to think UVa (vs xyz regional university) played a part cause I don't have wings, superpowers, or any other unique attributes. Otherwise the pre-med is pretty rigorous here as compared to my friends that go elsewhere, think that helped a lot with my MCAT.

Just curious how do you have acceptances I thought amcas schools couldn't sent out acceptances till October 15th for regular applicants (not ED)

Just curious how do you have acceptances I thought amcas schools couldn't sent out acceptances till October 15th for regular applicants (not ED)

DO acceptances, got those in August/early September. Yes I won't here back from the MD schools until October (hopefully).

Rule 1: Take A Breath

MD schools can start on Oct 15th. However, most acceptances will dribble out until March. Then of course, waitlists can go on until July

Ah I thought md and do both sent out on October 15. Perfectly relaxed was just looking for some clarification!