School organized medical mission/outreach trip for a week during third year. Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefully_a_Dr.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an email from my school about a week long trip to provide care to a third world country in need. I've always wanted to go on a trip like this, but have never had the time or the fundage. My question is, is the trip worth the $$ and the time it would take to make up a shelf exam and will it do me any good on my residency application? Yes I realize you shouldn't just go for a resume padder, but the reality is we all have some ulterior motive for doing altruistic things whether we want to admit it or not so save me the lecture in that regard. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Got an email from my school about a week long trip to provide care to a third world country in need. I've always wanted to go on a trip like this, but have never had the time or the fundage. My question is, is the trip worth the $$ and the time it would take to make up a shelf exam and will it do me any good on my residency application? Yes I realize you shouldn't just go for a resume padder, but the reality is we all have some ulterior motive for doing altruistic things whether we want to admit it or not so save me the lecture in that regard. Thank you!
Will not do you one ounce of good for residency. Most everyone recognizes this voluntourism as meaningless. If you want to go, then go. But you'd probably be better off saving that money for applying to more residency programs and going to more interviews come ERAS season

If it's going to interfere with your studies, your rotation, etc.. I'd be extremely cautious. When they look at your resume they'll say, "Gosh, that's nice." But will no way shape or form substitute for a low score.