Schools comparing old McAT to new McAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCIpremed139

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had a quick question that I am not even sure has an answer, but perhaps someone on this forum can answer me. I'm thinking about retaking my mcat (took the old one) and I just want to know, how will schools determine whether or not you did better or worse on the second attempt? Im guessing they will just compare the percentiles? Also, do any of you think schools will be less inclined to hold it against you if you do worse on the new mcat. For example, retaking a 33 and getting a 31 looked bad. But with the new mcat, will schools be a bit more lenient on the whole "doing worse on the retake is bad" thing since the new test is so unknown?

I apologize if my question is confusing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I just had a quick question that I am not even sure has an answer, but perhaps someone on this forum can answer me. I'm thinking about retaking my mcat (took the old one) and I just want to know, how will schools determine whether or not you did better or worse on the second attempt? Im guessing they will just compare the percentiles? Also, do any of you think schools will be less inclined to hold it against you if you do worse on the new mcat. For example, retaking a 33 and getting a 31 looked bad. But with the new mcat, will schools be a bit more lenient on the whole "doing worse on the retake is bad" thing since the new test is so unknown?

We will use percentiles to compare the old and new tests. A lower score on a retake shows bad judgement.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your old score? Is it expiring soon?

Hi all,

Goro,

It was a 31. My gpa is a 3.86. Really strong ECs. I know that's a risky score to retake but I still feel as though it's a somewhat low score. I'm not stubborn though and am willing to listen. I was doing better on my practice aamcs (34-38) range and so that's why I'm thinking about retaking.