schools for a 3.8/32 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phys36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which schools around the PA area would be good to apply to for a 3.8 GPA and 32 MCAT? GWU? Pitt? Are those in a good range of schools? Also some other info:
-2 years hospital volunteering, summer of research, mentor, ~120 hrs physician shadowing, tutor, misc things like clubs & club tennis....
I would appreciate some opinions, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Penn State, the SUNY Schools aren't TOO far away from Pitt, NJ schools, Penn

I'm assuming you're a PA resident. If so, be sure to (at the very least) apply to every school in the state. You really never know, and since you'd like to stay in the area, hit them all: Univ. of Penn, Pitt, Penn State, Jefferson, Drexel and Temple. If you'd also consider schools in nearby states, consider the schools in NY, NJ, etc. Georgetown and GWU if you're interested in those too (they get a ton of applications - I think applying early to those schools is key). And perhaps BU and Tufts if you like Boston.

You've got good stats so I wouldn't cross any schools off in your area that you're interested in simply because you think they'd be a reach - it's all just a matter of luck, LORs, personal statement, interviews, etc. You really never know where you might get interviews. I've posted before about a classmate who's an IL resident, has a 30 and a 3.6, and ended up getting an interview at Northwestern, but rejected post-secondary from UIC.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll see plenty of people floating around the forums who have gotten into "reach" schools such as Pitt and Penn with stats similar or less than yours. Don't limit yourself in where you apply because otherwise you may never know.

I had about the same stats as you. I really wish I had applied to more places just to see where I could get in. Probably, I'd try to leverage more schools to make Baylor give me more money.

Sigh.

I don't think anything is really out of your reach, so apply smartly and widely. Heck, even try a Cali school if you like it Cali. Weirder things have happened.

I would apply everywhere you think you might want to go (regardless of prestige, rank, or any of that). With your stats, as long as you don't walk into your interview not wearing pants or something, you should be ok. But don't waste money on places you wouldn't (1) pay the secondary fee for or (2) spend the cash necessary to interview at.

I made these mistakes and ended up paying primary fees for schools I never filled the secondary out for and getting interviews to schools I ultimately had no interest in. At the end of the day, it would have been easier to just put the money in a barrel and burn it.

I would apply everywhere you think you might want to go (regardless of prestige, rank, or any of that). With your stats, as long as you don't walk into your interview not wearing pants or something, you should be ok. But don't waste money on places you wouldn't (1) pay the secondary fee for or (2) spend the cash necessary to interview at.

I made these mistakes and ended up paying primary fees for schools I never filled the secondary out for and getting interviews to schools I ultimately had no interest in. At the end of the day, it would have been easier to just put the money in a barrel and burn it.

Better yet, just give it to me. I need to buy furniture.

Better yet, just give it to me. I need to buy furniture.

Haha..thanks for all the input guys! Yes I was also considering other surrounding schools like Georgetown, the SUNY's and maybe schools in Ohio. I would also love to go to UNC Chapel Hill but I've heard/read they accept hardly any out of staters if any at all. I guess if I really like a school then I might as well apply there while keeping some safeties (if there are such things in the process:rolleyes:)

we have similar stats--they r good ones. id say really u can apply pretty much anywhere and have a chance. good luck!

Have you heard of the LizzyM score. The formula is 10(GPA) + MCAT for your LizzyM score. The LizzyM score for the school you are considering is 10(GPA) +MCAT-1. If I recall correctly, if your LizzyM score is at or above the school's LizzyM score, you have a 50-50 or better chance of getting an interview.If it is lower, the odds are against you, but there is still a possibility. Hope this helps.

Have you heard of the LizzyM score. The formula is 10(GPA) + MCAT for your LizzyM score. The LizzyM score for the school you are considering is 10(GPA) +MCAT-1. If I recall correctly, if your LizzyM score is at or above the school's LizzyM score, you have a 50-50 or better chance of getting an interview.If it is lower, the odds are against you, but there is still a possibility. Hope this helps.

I've heard of it but never knew what it was. How do you know what the LizzyM score is for each school?

I'd assume you take their mean GPA and MCAT and apply the same operation. I'm not sure though. I've never really heard of this LizzyM score.

there was a recent thread on it so you could do a search or from what i understood from that search
LizzyM score was devo by lizzyM who is a med school admin
if your score is (calculated as gpa*10 + MCAT) same as the lizzyM score for a school (calc as gpa*10 + Mcat -1) then you have almost 50-50 chance of getting an interview there.

This score is pretty much purely hypothetical and hasn't really been verified, but is a nice confidence booster :)

I was wondering which schools around the PA area would be good to apply to for a 3.8 GPA and 32 MCAT? GWU? Pitt? Are those in a good range of schools? Also some other info:
-2 years hospital volunteering, summer of research, mentor, ~120 hrs physician shadowing, tutor, misc things like clubs & club tennis....
I would appreciate some opinions, thanks!

3.8? 32? PA? Wierd... Check my MDApps... And I would add the Chicago schools, Northwestern, UChicago, and Rush

EDIT: Oh, and you should get an auto-invite to interview at Pitt. I applied there last year as well and got the auto-invite to interview. Long story short, I applied late, like at the deadline late and only to a few schools, so if you're on time (like I was this year) you should have no problem getting a few nice interviews and acceptances.

I just read through all of the posts, and everyone here is exactly right. Now that I've gone through it, I wish I would've applied to a few other top schools, Duke and Hopkins come to mind. Also, the Boston schools, like BU and tufts and maybe even Harvard if I was feeling good that day.

Anyways, you definitely should have no restrictions on where you apply. If I were in your shoes at this point you should really think of what type of environment you want to be in (i.e. City, Big city, suburbs, etc.) For me, after being on a few inteviews and really researching schools I knew I wouldn't have liked Iowa, Drexel, or Einstein just because of the environment. And this honestly showed in my interviews (I got flat out rejected at both of those schools), but at 2 of the schools I really liked because of the fast paced busy hospitals I was accepted (Temple and Miami) and . I guess the only way to truly know where you'd fit in is to be on several interviews, and I'm sure you'll be as lucky as I was.