Schools in the Carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the schools in the Carribean islands are easy to get into, but are they also easier once you are in? for example, would a student at a carribean school spend fewer hours per week studying than a student that goes to a school in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

They shouldn't, even if they're course work requires less study time.

To practice in this country they're going to have to take the Step exams just like everyone else, and compete for residency with everyone else. Coming for a Carib school, they're at a disadvantage vs. docs trained in this country and they need to stand out. So they need to prepare extra hard for these eventual challenges.

I know that the schools in the Carribean islands are easy to get into, but are they also easier once you are in? for example, would a student at a carribean school spend fewer hours per week studying than a student that goes to a school in the states?

I feel like Caribbean students probably (at least theoretically) should spend more time studying in order to do better on the USMLE to make up for the fact that they're offshore. Plus, I'm sure some (but obviously not all) students were academically weak in the first place to have to end up there, and those students would probably end up spending more time studying anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
These schools are not diploma mills. They let just about anyone in but take your tuition (which is really, really high) for the first year and weed a lot of people out. If they were churning out very sub-par docs they would lose their accreditation , I would assume. I have heard that people who actually make it to graduation are decent docs; however, they still have an uphill battle b/c of the stigma. Also, if you plan to "slack off" during med school and somehow make it through, good luck on the USMLE step exams, which are the only thing that can place you anywhere near even-ground with US grads.

Not likely. That's why the attrition is so high. These schools are marketed as "second chances" for folks. You have to be ready to make the most of it.

Not likely. That's why the attrition is so high. These schools are marketed as "second chances" for folks. You have to be ready to make the most of it.

You've got 13,000+ posts? Jesus, Lawdy....

I'm in a carribean school, the material we have is comparable to my friends in US schools. I study the same if not more depending on the person. The material is EXACTLY the same as US schools, why wouldnt it be? And because its the same material, the study time is the same.

Medical school is medical school...we all have to take the same exam.

These schools are not diploma mills. They let just about anyone in but take your tuition (which is really, really high) for the first year and weed a lot of people out. If they were churning out very sub-par docs they would lose their accreditation , I would assume. I have heard that people who actually make it to graduation are decent docs; however, they still have an uphill battle b/c of the stigma. Also, if you plan to "slack off" during med school and somehow make it through, good luck on the USMLE step exams, which are the only thing that can place you anywhere near even-ground with US grads.

Well said. I remember reading some quote on SDN that the attrition rate for some carib schools are as high as 33% (Pretty damn high considering the attrition rate is 1-2% at most for US medical schools). There are a few like Ross that tend to have a more favorable reputation (they match a good number in the US), but, as quoted from the pre-med forum, "exceptions aren't the rule". You're still gonna have to work hard, if not harder than your colleagues, to place in the US. The education is the same (everyone takes the same tests), but the stigma and the missing AAMC stamp of approval makes it tough.

I'm in a carribean school, the material we have is comparable to my friends in US schools. I study the same if not more depending on the person. The material is EXACTLY the same as US schools, why wouldnt it be? And because its the same material, the study time is the same.

Medical school is medical school...we all have to take the same exam.

yea.. dont they just ship American instructors and admin poeple and place them in the Caribbean? Thats what i gathered when i looked at the faculty in the pamphlets for st georges. It run by Americans essentially. Plus, i dont know of a single person who attends the carrib schools who isnt from the US. Im sure there are some however. It seems like almost all are from the US.

This is not an allopathic medical school issue and therefore is moved to the Pre-Allo forum. Allopathic medical students may follow and comment if desired.