schools list (yes, another one...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmjannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions? Advice? I want to stay in the MidWest. Have an undergrad gpa of about 3.4, sci gpa of 3.3ish. MPH with a gpa of 3.75. MCAT 30.

186 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
116 Creighton University School of Medicine
139 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
141 Medical College of Wisconsin
110 Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
812 Rush Medical College
164 Saint Louis University School of Medicine
111 University of Chicago - Pritzker
131 University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine In state
134 University of Kansas
148 University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
149 University of Nebraska College of Medicine
188 University of Wisconsin

Thanks all. Cheers and g'luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Hows about UIC? SIU if you are an Il resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I think we might both be trying to get the same answers.

I am interested in finding a school in the midwest as well. I am a MN resident, so I'll of course be applying to the U of MN and U of MN-Duluth, but I am having a hard time finding other midwest schools that accept out-of-staters. Right now my list is as follows: Medical College of Wisconsin, Creighton, Univ. of Iowa, University of South Dakota. My options in Chicago are pretty much restricted to more suburban outlying areas (at my fiance's strong request) but I don't know enough about the Chicago area to pick any schools there at this point.

Wow...longwinded explanation. Any suggestions?

U Michigan, Oregon Health Sciences.

thats a good list to stay in the midwest.

How about NYMC? or GW?

Or Columbia?

skiz knot said:
... SIU if you are an Il resident?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed as of late, but what if you're an IL resident and have no intentions of practicing in a rural part of IL? Should you still apply? :confused:

chicagomel said:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed as of late, but what if you're an IL resident and have no intentions of practicing in a rural part of IL? Should you still apply? :confused:
Yes! I am from the Chicago area and was accepted. They are looking to train physicians that are likely to practice in underserved areas. Cook County is an underserved community. I mean, I wouldn't go to an interview there and start saying that I would only ever work in a big city, but you don't have to explicitly say that you are going to work in a rural area. You also don't have to say that you plan to do family practice, ob/gyn, etc... My interviewer asked me what my interests were as far as a specialty field, and I replied, "Ortho Surg, but I am undecided. I'll make that decision during med school, after more exposure to diff fields...". He told me flat out that 5 years ago saying that would have meant a big "X" accross my app, but now it is ok. It was more important to him that I said I was still open minded.

One caveat is that I lived for 3 months in an extremely rural part of Minnesota after I graduated from high school. I am not sure if this played any role in my acceptance as I was never asked about it during my interview.

DoctorFunk said:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I think we might both be trying to get the same answers.

I am interested in finding a school in the midwest as well. I am a MN resident, so I'll of course be applying to the U of MN and U of MN-Duluth, but I am having a hard time finding other midwest schools that accept out-of-staters. Right now my list is as follows: Medical College of Wisconsin, Creighton, Univ. of Iowa, University of South Dakota. My options in Chicago are pretty much restricted to more suburban outlying areas (at my fiance's strong request) but I don't know enough about the Chicago area to pick any schools there at this point.

Wow...longwinded explanation. Any suggestions?
You can apply to Rush and UIC. They are both accesible from the outlying suburbs by public transportation. Your fiancee would probably love Oak Park. 20 minute ride on the cta blue line (approx same time driving, depending on traffic).

Yeah I went to high school in Oak Park, and I go to UIC now (undergrad). The commute isn't bad at all by car (15 minutes) or train (16 minutes) :laugh: You can take either the blue line or the green line trains.