schools near military bases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovilla

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of a pharmacy school that is within driving distance of a military base? My husband is in the army. He does not want to leave the military. My only other option would be an online program like Creighton (not sure if there are any other online programs).

Members don't see this ad.

lovilla said:
Anybody know of a pharmacy school that is within driving distance of a military base? My husband is in the army. He does not want to leave the military. My only other option would be an online program like Creighton (not sure if there are any other online programs).
NAS Jax is only about 10 miles from the UF COP Jacksonville campus. There are a few Army guys stationed there, but not a lot.

Betty'sBeast said:
NAS Jax is only about 10 miles from the UF COP Jacksonville campus. There are a few Army guys stationed there, but not a lot.

Isn't there also a military base up in St. Mary's, Georgia? That isn't a bad drive to Jacksonville.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's an Air Force base in Phoenix (near Midwestern Univ.), does it have to be an army base?

Fort Stewart in Hinesville Georgia is close enough to South University. It's about an hour to get there and it's all highway for the most part. The 3rd ID is located there so I am sure that a transfer wouldn't be all that hard as long as he doesn't mind frequent trips to Iraq.

I believe there's 3 Army bases in California.... And California has 7 Pharmacy schools... Don't know exactly where the bases are but I'm sure they would be within a 2-4 hour drive at most from one of the CA pharmacy schools..

Fort Irwin
Presidio of Monterey <-- closer to UCSF/UOP .. probably an hour
Fort Hunter-Liggett <--3 hr drive to UCSF/UOP or a 4 hr drive to USC/Western

Caverject said:
If he is in the Army, it would have to be an Army base.

Thanks! I didn't really know. My dad was in the Air Force and my friend's dad was in the Army, they were stationed at the same base. Maybe the Army guy was on some special assignment, since this was overseas.

the people in my class who are married to military men do not actually live with their spouses.... the spouse has been in korea for a little over a year, in iraq for a while, etc.

Caverject said:
If he is in the Army, it would have to be an Army base.
Not necessarily. On most bases there are at least some personnel from every branch. Getting an Army billet on non-Army base isn't as easy as an getting an Army billet on an Army base, but it can be done.

lovilla said:
Why don't you narrow it down to a few places that he might get stationed, and go from there. I think that would make it easier for someone to help you.

U of MD is fairly close to FT Meade.

Also, depending on his job, he could work at MEPS, as a recruiter or in a college.

There are also other on line programs. I would reccommend looking into them since with military assignments, its almost as much of a crapshoot as actually getting into Pharm School!

Members don't see this ad :)
Betty'sBeast said:
Not necessarily. On most bases there are at least some personnel from every branch. Getting an Army billet on non-Army base isn't as easy as an getting an Army billet on an Army base, but it can be done.
While true, it sounds as if the OP's husband is a grunt and wouldn't be inline for that type of job unless you really know how to work the Government system. (Which is just mind boggaling)

Auburn is about a 50 minute commute from Columbus Geogia which is where Ft. Benning is located. I've been doing this commute for 3 years and it really isn't too bad- no traffic and almost all highway. I also live in columbus, but many military families live in Phenix City AL. That's about 20-25 minutes from post and a little bit closer (not much) to Auburn.

chloejane said:
Auburn is about a 50 minute commute from Columbus Geogia which is where Ft. Benning is located. I've been doing this commute for 3 years and it really isn't too bad- no traffic and almost all highway. I also live in columbus, but many military families live in Phenix City AL. That's about 20-25 minutes from post and a little bit closer (not much) to Auburn.

thanks for all the replies.

Chloejane, My husband is stationed in Ft. Benning, GA. Actually, he is in Iraq right now. I didn't know about Auburn but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.

Caverject said:
While true, it sounds as if the OP's husband is a grunt and wouldn't be inline for that type of job unless you really know how to work the Government system. (Which is just mind boggaling)
Finding out who you need to talk to is the most important part. EVERYBODY thinks that they are the person who has the say so in the decision making, but that rarely turns out to be the case. Find the person making the actual decisions, from there it's pretty easy. Of course this is assuming that peron actually likes you, if that's not the case then you're screwed.

I drive through the Ft. Benning area a few times a year, it's pretty close to the Miller Brewing plant right? Nice scenery, bad drivers.

Betty'sBeast said:
I drive through the Ft. Benning area a few times a year, it's pretty close to the Miller Brewing plant right? Nice scenery, bad drivers.

I live in El Paso so I don't even know.

There are 2 bases in San Diego, California.
UCSD - pharmacy school
1 base in Point Loma and another on Miramar Rd

Betty'sBeast said:
Finding out who you need to talk to is the most important part. EVERYBODY thinks that they are the person who has the say so in the decision making, but that rarely turns out to be the case.

Gosh, this is SO true! :laugh: At Ft Stewart, anyone with officer status talked like they were king sh.. when in reality they have the same power status of mailman for the postal service, which is none. (same amount of accountability too!)

Caverject said:
Gosh, this is SO true! :laugh: At Ft Stewart, anyone with officer status talked like they were king sh.. when in reality they have the same power status of mailman for the postal service, which is none. (same amount of accountability too!)
I had the greatest mailman in the world until a few months ago. I could tell he was losing a lot of weight, and then all of sudden I had a new, crappy mailman. I hope he's doing alright, he is one of the nicest people I've ever met. I don't know why there is such a bad rep for the USPS workers, most of the ones I've come across are good people (except my current crappy mailman). My old mailman used to ring the doorbell and wait for someone to answer so that he wouldn't have to bend an envelope that was a little too big for the box. My new guy will shove everything he can into the box and he literally thows packages from about 15 feet from the door so he'll save himself a few steps, you long haired hippie jerk! I guess I just got lucky with my great mailman, maybe my current guy is the norm. Anyone else have a great mailman?

lovilla said:
thanks for all the replies.

Chloejane, My husband is stationed in Ft. Benning, GA. Actually, he is in Iraq right now. I didn't know about Auburn but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.

Best of luck to him... my husband just left for Afganistan a couple of weeks ago. The separation thing really sucks! Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with me :)