Schools sending letters to home encouraging you to apply? Are these legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrinkMoreWaterrr

Reaction score
Happy Tuesday all,

Looking for advice from people who have received such letters in the past. I recently received a letter from Northwestern encouraging myself to apply, saying they would waive the secondary free, and all the fixings. The letter even appeared to be signed with legitimate signatures from the senders. However, I am curious to if they send these letters to everyone or did I receive it because I stand a genuine chance on getting an interview there?

I am URM (mexican american), have great ECs, significant research, but very below average stats for a program like Northwestern (3.42 GPA/506 MCAT; great upward trend though)

So far, I have only applied and been verified for DO programs because I understand my stats are not so hot for MD programs. Actually, I haven't even filled out the AMCAS application yet (but I do have all essays complete, PS is phenomenal, very strong LORs, and have prewritten secondaries -- so in theory I could apply and enter all my coursework by the end of the week)

Receiving this letter kinda changed things for me, initially because I thought I only stood a chance at DO programs. Do letters like this hold any weight? Does anyone have experience receiving a letter like this and then applied ~relatively late~ and actually got accepted?

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

They are waiving your secondary fee so they are actually interested. Otherwise they send them out to most applicants above a certain MCAT threshold. Everyone should apply to their state MDs at the very least. Don’t count yourself out!

Reactions: 2 users
They are waiving your secondary fee so they are actually interested. Otherwise they send them out to most applicants above a certain MCAT threshold. Everyone should apply to their state MDs at the very least. Don’t count yourself out!
Thank you for your encouragement and advice. Think I'm gonna take some time this weekend and start filling AMCAS out. Would you still consider early/mid July application late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your encouragement and advice. Think I'm gonna take some time this weekend and start filling AMCAS out. Would you still consider early/mid July application late?

No. You are on time if your secondaries are in by Labor Day

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't read too much into this unless the letter was personalized to you specifically (doubtful).

You were probably sent this letter due to meeting certain screening criteria such as race, income, state of residence, etc. Much like how many schools encourage everyone and their pets to apply to increase the perceived competitiveness of their program, I suspect that something similar is happening here for Feinberg / Northwestern. More applicants from diverse and underserved backgrounds = larger pool to choose from when it comes time for deciding who to interview and accept. The secondary fee waiver is nice and somewhat lowers the financial cost of applying there, but I wouldn't take that as a sign that they specifically want you. If you've got time though, doesn't hurt to try.

Our committee doesn't even start meeting until August. So any time in July and August is fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't read too much into this unless the letter was personalized to you specifically (doubtful).

You were probably sent this letter due to meeting certain screening criteria such as race, income, state of residence, etc. Much like how many schools encourage everyone and their pets to apply to increase the perceived competitiveness of their program, I suspect that something similar is happening here for Feinberg / Northwestern. More applicants from diverse and underserved backgrounds = larger pool to choose from when it comes time for deciding who to interview and accept. The secondary fee waiver is nice and somewhat lowers the financial cost of applying there, but I wouldn't take that as a sign that they specifically want you. If you've got time though, doesn't hurt to try.

Our committee doesn't even start meeting until August. So any time in July and August is fine.
I agree 100% with the wise Moko. This is worth shooting for.

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you for the tips and advice, really appreciate it. I'm not sure if you could call it personalized but it did mention my name, how I live in the region, and they found out about my stats through the minority registry, and had legit signatures at the bottom.. not sure if this would qualify as personal? I am aware I am not the only prospective student who received this letter lol but still was nice

However, I am definitely going to start filling out the AMCAS application, thank you for the encouragement!

Reactions: 1 user
Indiana, so I have roots in the midwest (something the letter mentioned)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda
California University
Kaiser
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Quinnipiac
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda
California University
Kaiser
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Quinnipiac
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August.
Thank you for the guidance!! Will pick a handful of schools from your list and look into them

I
Don't bother with Rush unless you have a year's worth of clinical employment. They look for that sort of thing.
I have a little over two years clinical employment and research experience. I’ve also heard Rush values volunteer work and have secured ~250+ hours at the moment. Think I’m gonna take a shot with them.

Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user