Schools that favor last 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction for schools that look/weigh the last 2 years or so of college more? I know Washington has a scale where senior I year counts the most, and I know Toronto drops lowest 4 classes. I am asking because my my science gpa the first two years (with more intro classes) was 2.8, and the last 2 years it's over 3.7 (with all upper level). Coupled with a 515 mcat and first author pub I have no idea where to apply. my gpa is barely 10% for most schools but since I have this massive upward trend I'm not sure where to apply with a 3.35c and 3.28s (all 4 years)

Members don't see this ad.

You sound like the perfect SMP candidate. I'd do one if I were you. You could probably get into some top ones. Apply MD first and see if you get in anywhere, then do an SMP if you don't.

ALL medical schools look at upward trends.

Boston U, Mich St, Wayne, and LSU-NO will replace your entire GPA with the most recent 32 credits.

@Goro also cites Vanderbilt, Case, Duke and some others as "redemption" schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Boston U, Mich St, Wayne, and LSU-NO will replace your entire GPA with the most recent 32 credits.

@Goro also cites Vanderbilt, Case, Duke and some others as "redemption" schools.

Is there a link to the BU page regarding the 32 credits? I can't find it anywhere on the website but that is definitely a good thing if it is true

Some of these schools, such as Wayne and Mich, have specific processes in their secondary application that you request either last two years, or 32 credits, or even grad work (i cant remember which school) be used. But you need to do this specifically to have your later GPA considered for purposes of admissions

Good to know!!! Any other schools like this I should be aware of?

Hey Chris can you provide source? This would be very helpful for those reliant on upward trends, non-trad, etc.

Does your MCAT really reinforce that upward trend? If you killed the MCAT as well that will really help convince schools that you turned a new leaf and that the past few years are more indicative of how you will do in med school

I think it is important to remember that just because a school will use your last 30 credits of grades as part of their formal GPA calculation, that does not mean that all grades arent still on the application and wont be considered in the admission process. It reminds me kind of the issue with multiple MCATs: all scores are always present. You cant "unsee" things. Without working at those schools specifically it's very hard to say how exactly they factor in old vs new grades even if the formal GPA calculation only involves new grades.

Hey Chris can you provide source? This would be very helpful for those reliant on upward trends, non-trad, etc.

The chart gonnif posted as well as the websites of the schools I mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
My numbers were similar to yours and I found Tulane and Virginia Tech to be 2 schools that favor strong MCAts and upward trends over GPA.

Ive also heard good things about Albany but can't speak from experience.

STL or Seattle?

U Washington in Seattle. I remember seeing on an admissions page that the weight each year differently and add more weight to the end of college gpa

The WGPA (weighted GPA)* is added to the mean MCAT score then converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal CS (Combined score) = 8
(eg. WGPA = 2.4, mean MCAT = 9 then CS would be calculated as 2.4 + (9/3.75) = 4.8).
If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out and the applicant will not be invited to complete a secondary application.

*WGPA is calculated this way:
CUM. Freshman GPA x 1 = A
CUM. Sophomore GPA x 2 = B
CUM. Junior GPA x 3 = C

(A+B+C)/6 = Weighted GPA

The WGPA (weighted GPA)* is added to the mean MCAT score then converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal CS (Combined score) = 8
(eg. WGPA = 2.4, mean MCAT = 9 then CS would be calculated as 2.4 + (9/3.75) = 4.8).
If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out and the applicant will not be invited to complete a secondary application.

*WGPA is calculated this way:
CUM. Freshman GPA x 1 = A
CUM. Sophomore GPA x 2 = B
CUM. Junior GPA x 3 = C

(A+B+C)/6 = Weighted GPA
Remember, if you are not a resident of WA, their OOS matriculants are largely WWAMI.

Reactions: 1 users
The obvious answer is yes. Will it be enough? that depends on the overall candidate
This was a question for the OP, I'm very familiar with the effects of a good MCAT..

This was a question for the OP, I'm very familiar with the effects of a good MCAT..

It's 515-93 percentile.
128 in cars,psych, physics/chem
131 in bio/biochem

Good to know!!! Any other schools like this I should be aware of?

I'm referring to this thread right now because I'm in a similar situation. My ugpa is horrible, but I did an SMP and my last 36 units are at a 3.722. Was wondering which schools you applied to/where they looks favorably upon students redeeming themselves?

I'm referring to this thread right now because I'm in a similar situation. My ugpa is horrible, but I did an SMP and my last 36 units are at a 3.722. Was wondering which schools you applied to/where they looks favorably upon students redeeming themselves?

+1 for this. My first 60 was a 3.5, my last 60 was 3.7 (with last 33 being 3.85)

Anyone? Or are things like trends just "apparent"