Schools that Value/Expect LoI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themandulorian

Reaction score
Hello all,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. As we approach the mass exodus of decisions coming out in the near future, I've read about a lot of people sending LoI (either intent or interest) to schools that they're interviewed at. I've heard that some schools (e.g. Mayo Clinic) strongly recommend/encourage LoI, and it's hard to be admitted without one. So, what other schools are like this? And on a related note, is it worth sending LoI to schools you've interviewed at without major updates to your application? Some schools I've interviewed at have said they are open to LoI, but I've also read that LoI often have little to no (or even negative) impact on your application, so I'm a bit lost on what to do here.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. As we approach the mass exodus of decisions coming out in the near future, I've read about a lot of people sending LoI (either intent or interest) to schools that they're interviewed at. I've heard that some schools (e.g. Mayo Clinic) strongly recommend/encourage LoI, and it's hard to be admitted without one. So, what other schools are like this? And on a related note, is it worth sending LoI to schools you've interviewed at without major updates to your application? Some schools I've interviewed at have said they are open to LoI, but I've also read that LoI often have little to no (or even negative) impact on your application, so I'm a bit lost on what to do here.

Thanks in advance!
How to send (or not send) a Letter of Intent.
1. Of the schools where you have interviewed, select your top choice.
2. Determine if the school in question accepts LOIs. This may have been conveyed on interview day, or it could be online, or it may take a short email to the admissions director.
3. If your top choice school accepts LOIs, then send them one. Keep it concise, and be as specific as possible.
4. If your top choice school does not accept LOIs, then take up a new hobby or get some additional volunteering hours.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users