Schools willing to forgive mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Changedude21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, less than a year ago, I was caught trying to take an exam for my roommate. I was suspended for a semester and I really do regret what I did and have learned from it. My question is, what dental schools would be most forgiving? Which schools basically are more "Second chance" friendly? My dream is to be a dentist and I don't want one mistake to ruin my life.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how you truly expect anyone to know this?

I think it would be best to call the admissions office and get a direct answer from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.8 GPA and 23AA 24TS 21PAT they'll overlook anything!

Not really though. There really isn't a way to guess who will look past this. Every schools pushes ethics and of course no one is tolerant of this sort of thing (hence the 'what would you do if you saw someone cheating' question). It sucks more because this is a recent event and surely with that punishment it's on your academic record for all to see.

Alas, your life is not over. Be honest and straightforward about it. Certainly don't select your schools based on this. You just apply and roll with it.

Yea, I was just trying to see if there were people who may be in the same boat or are already in dental school after doing something like this, and what schools they applied to. I plan on being completely straightforward about everything, but I just hope the dental schools understand. The aadsas application only gives you 600 characters to explain the situation, so I can't really say everything I want to. I guess I could mail/email each school I apply to a longer letter explaining what happened and what I learned. I am hoping that my competitive stats and extracurricular stuff will at least give me a chance at an interview, where I can speak to them in person about what happened.

Yea, I was just trying to see if there were people who may be in the same boat or are already in dental school after doing something like this, and what schools they applied to. I plan on being completely straightforward about everything, but I just hope the dental schools understand. The aadsas application only gives you 600 characters to explain the situation, so I can't really say everything I want to. I guess I could mail/email each school I apply to a longer letter explaining what happened and what I learned. I am hoping that my competitive stats and extracurricular stuff will at least give me a chance at an interview, where I can speak to them in person about what happened.

I don't think you will have a problem getting interviews. You'll be fine. I understand your concern though.

Just tell them professionally on the application section that asks about misconduct and make sure you stress how you've learned and grown from the experience.

I'm sure many dschools would be willing to forgive you eventually. However, I doubt they will do it immediately. Maybe 1 or 2 years from now, they will forgive you b/c they probably think you need time to reflect and really learn from the situation (even though you may have already learned from it in a shorter time frame). So, I doubt it will ruin your life, but it definitely will set your dreams back a little.

On a kinda off-topic note, I was thinking about what I would do if I was caught doing what you were doing (not saying I ever did do anything of this sort). So I was thinking when the professor or TA found out that you were not actually the person taking the test, I'm assuming he would try to ID you. I would grab the test (so he can't question my friend for my identity) and hightail it out of there lol. This way he doesn't know who you are or who your friend is. Your friend would get a 0 for the test though, but I'm sure he would be willing to take the fall b/c you were taking a huge risk helping him out, but it didn't work out.

So, less than a year ago, I was caught trying to take an exam for my roommate. I was suspended for a semester and I really do regret what I did and have learned from it. My question is, what dental schools would be most forgiving? Which schools basically are more "Second chance" friendly? My dream is to be a dentist and I don't want one mistake to ruin my life.

You might find a school that could use your experience to help them teach the course in ethics. Of course, your claim that you have "learned from it" might resonate a little better had you had say a decade of hindsight when you could claim it as youthful indiscretion.

I plan on being completely straightforward about everything, but I just hope the dental schools understand. The aadsas application only gives you 600 characters to explain the situation, so I can't really say everything I want to. I guess I could mail/email each school I apply to a longer letter explaining what happened and what I learned. I am hoping that my competitive stats and extracurricular stuff will at least give me a chance at an interview, where I can speak to them in person about what happened.

You need to write a short story to express your contriteness?

If you can explain that you have learned from your mistakes and how you have grown from it I don't see it being the reason to not let you into dental school. Some people get DUI's and have had academic dishonesty issues in the past and still apply. Just be ready to explain what was going on and how that incident has helped you mature academically. It certainly won't help you, but if you look fine everywhere else you still might be able to land an interview somewhere. Its almost a promise that they will ask why you were on a semester long hiatus. Good luck!