Schools with One-Year MPH Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KPstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently applying to med school, but with only 2 interviews and over a dozen rejections, I'm starting to consider my options for next year. I'm really interested in pursuing a Masters of Public Health, as this is something that really aligns with my career goals post-medical school, and something I want to do anyway. Since I intend to apply to medical school again next year, I specifically am interested in schools that I can complete in one year. I know many schools offer one year programs, but most are open only to professionals or people who have worked in the field for many years. My question is, do you all know of schools that have one year programs for students with only a bachelors? I am aware of:

Dartmouth
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson

Any other ideas?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I am currently applying to med school, but with only 2 interviews and over a dozen rejections, I'm starting to consider my options for next year. I'm really interested in pursuing a Masters of Public Health, as this is something that really aligns with my career goals post-medical school, and something I want to do anyway. Since I intend to apply to medical school again next year, I specifically am interested in schools that I can complete in one year. I know many schools offer one year programs, but most are open only to professionals or people who have worked in the field for many years. My question is, do you all know of schools that have one year programs for students with only a bachelors? I am aware of:

Dartmouth
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson

Any other ideas?
Thank you!

The Hopkins MPH is the only one-year program that I can think of that caters to people with at least two years of full-time, public health related work experience. But it is open to people with a Bachelors. Most other one-year programs are accelerated, and are restricted to those with doctoral degrees.

Have you gotten news back from those two schools that you interviewed at? If not/if you were waitlisted, I wouldn't panic apply to MPH programs. It's only December after all. You've got a long while to go before you should start truly worrying.

I also want to caution you against getting a degree just for med school admissions. Frankly, just having an MPH doesn't make you a more competitive candidate. You would have to have some kind of meaningful experience with the degree, which would likely take >1 year.

However, if you are truly interested in the field of public health and think it would really enhance your career (not just your med school applications), then by all means, go for it! I don't mean to make this post sound harsh or like I'm discouraging you, but I've seen too many people use expensive graduate degrees to try to get into med school only for it to backfire on them.

Also, Northwestern has a 1 year MPH (http://www.publichealth.northwestern.edu/prospective-students/mph-combined/mph.html). I don't know anything about the program, but I noticed that it was missing from your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the above - an MPH would largely just be viewed as a nice EC if you can intelligently talk about your experience in your chosen program.

Only do the degree if you are passionate about the field. Working in public health first would help define your goals.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile