Science Classes Senior Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VivaLaVida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to work on my four year plan. (Ok...I'm going to be a sophomore, so I guess it's a three year plan now), I was looking at admissions requirements for a certain medical school and it has both requirements and "strongly recommended" courses. These "recommendations" include courses such as biochem and genetics.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I just want to be sure...do these courses need to be taken before application to med school? Or is taking them senior year ok? I know it's best to take physics, bio, orgo, calc, etc. prior to application because of the MCAT, but wasn't sure about these "recommended" classes. I presume it's like application to undergrad, where you somehow indicate what classes you plan on completing prior to enrollment.

Just let me know!

PS. My mom was asking me if this school had preference for it's own undergrads (aka me). I said, "Yes, but it's still very competitive since there are only around 150 spots." She replies, "Oh...so like how many hundreds of students apply for these spots?" Uh mom....try THOUSANDS.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to work on my four year plan. (Ok...I'm going to be a sophomore, so I guess it's a three year plan now), I was looking at admissions requirements for a certain medical school and it has both requirements and "strongly recommended" courses. These "recommendations" include courses such as biochem and genetics.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I just want to be sure...do these courses need to be taken before application to med school? Or is taking them senior year ok? I know it's best to take physics, bio, orgo, calc, etc. prior to application because of the MCAT, but wasn't sure about these "recommended" classes. I presume it's like application to undergrad, where you somehow indicate what classes you plan on completing prior to enrollment.

Just let me know!

PS. My mom was asking me if this school had preference for it's own undergrads (aka me). I said, "Yes, but it's still very competitive since there are only around 150 spots." She replies, "Oh...so like how many hundreds of students apply for these spots?" Uh mom....try THOUSANDS.

From my understanding it's okay to take them after you apply, you'll just keep updating AMCAS each time you complete a new class or get a new reward/activity etc. I'm nearly positive it's okay to take them senior year. Haha, yeah.. my mom is really clueless through this whole process as well..whenever she asks a question I just say "I don't know, mom.." just for the sake of not explaining it for 818923 hours.:p