Science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rozzieray

Class of 202maybe sometime before 2030?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good upper division science courses to take in order to increase my science GPA before reapplying? I'm trying to decide on which one to takeand more options or recommendations would be great to look into.

Members don't see this ad.

What are some good upper division science courses to take in order to increase my science GPA before reapplying? I'm trying to decide on which one to takeand more options or recommendations would be great to look into.
It's hard to say because each university is unique and has different professors/requirements/exams/grading scales, plus everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I also don't know if there are any upper division science courses that are notoriously easy to increase your GPA (in fact it could be the opposite)... but I know I personally enjoyed my upper division Biology/Animal Science courses (Physiology, Microbiology, Cell Bio, Repro Physiology, Ruminant Nutrition) and found them to be a decent foundation to starting vet school. Other ones I've heard to be interesting or useful were things like Immunology, Histology, Virology, Neuroscience, etc, but of course I would only take them if they are offered/if you are interested in them.

I'd also ask the school(s) to which you are applying what courses they would recommend/value and make sure they count as "upper" division courses (some schools consider different topics differently regardless of course number prefix). They will be able to make sure you aren't wasting time/work on a course that won't make much of a difference to their admissions committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say an anatomy class would never hurt

Anatomy and physiology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Virology, Immunology, Pharmacology... List goes one and on. I've taken Cell and enjoyed it and I know some schools that require it. Didn't take genetics but I know some schools like it. I'm taking the last 3 now and enjoy them!

Look at what some other schools required for pre-reqs that you haven't taken yet and take them. I figure if a vet school somewhere thought they were important, couldn't hurt to have under your belt. Also if you take the right ones you could increase your application pool if that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Anatomy and physiology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Virology, Immunology, Pharmacology... List goes one and on. I've taken Cell and enjoyed it and I know some schools that require it. Didn't take genetics but I know some schools like it. I'm taking the last 3 now and enjoy them!

Ahh I was looking into the Physiology, Immunology and Parasitology because they sounded really interesting. I will start calling to ask what they consider upper as well.

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it

This seems like it might be a good place to ask this! I know that history is considered a social/behavioral science (looking at Auburn's pre-req list), but is that included in your science GPA? I had assumed not, but I thought I would ask just to make sure!

This seems like it might be a good place to ask this! I know that history is considered a social/behavioral science (looking at Auburn's pre-req list), but is that included in your science GPA? I had assumed not, but I thought I would ask just to make sure!

VMCAS does not include it in the science GPA. I doubt Auburn does either, but if they calculate their own science GPA they could.