Science GPA below 3.0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how bad it would be to have a Science GPA below 3.0, I'm talking like 2.97? Would I get any interviews? Would having a 3.0 science gpa be that big of a difference in the matter (like pre-screens, etc.)? My MCAT is 32R, overall gpa close to 3.2, from JHU. Thanks, I just need to figure out how bad it is to have like a 2.97-2.98 science GPA (I am assuming, of course, that there is no rounding involved).

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that it is "impossible" to get interviews with a GPA below 3.0, but it would seriously IMPINGE your market-ablity. Esp with a high MCAT....it looks odd...ad coms look at disparities bewteen gpa and MCAT....

It would be best to pull your GPA up a bit...I went through the same thing...and had to "fix" my GPA as well...

You've come this far and done well on the MCAT...don't stop now!!

Hi,
I had a very similar profile (2.98 sci, 3.4 overall, and 31 MCAT) from a good school and didn't get any interviews. I'm not sure if my application was even read because my science gpa was under a 3.0. So I don't think it's impossible to get in (depends what your state schools are ) you should take a couple of upper division science classes to boost your gpa. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
ygreenst,

which school did you go to? what was your state school?

it's not a problem at all for DO schools.

Hi, I think it would be a very hard uphill battle to get in with a GPA>3.0. Have you graduated yet? If not you can postpone graduating and take more classes in hopes of pulling up your GPA. Otherwise postgrad clases are more than likely your best bet. How are your EC's? They would need to be excellent!!!

That is right at the minimum for most DO schools, so I don't know if that would get you in. The MCAT does help to offset the GPA and DO schools look at the whole application so that would work in your favor.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
what if i could get my science GPA to 3.0 by the time I graduate and apply? My EC's are pretty decent, nothing ridiculous, but show that I care for the profession. I plan to do Gtown SMP next year if i can.

besides my chances at U.S. allopathic schools, should I also apply to St.George's in Grenada? What are my chances of obtaining a competitive residency later? Or would it be better to reapply if I don't get into a U.S. school this first time around and do well at Gtown SMP? I am leaning away from D.O. schools as I don't really agree with the philosophy. Thanks!

Hi Camisho,
I went to Stanford for undergrad and the UCs are pretty competitive in California. Not sure how your state schools are. The Gtown SMP is a good idea if you can afford it - you can also apply while you're in the program, which may help you get in. There's also a program at Finch in Chicago that's similar to SMP, but if you get a 3.0 or above, they get you an interview at their school. You can also try just taking classes at your local state school to boost your gpa. That's what I've been doing, along with a part-time job. Hopefully, it'll help me get in this time around (I'll be applying this summer). Good luck to you!

I really would not advise you to go to St. G. Have you considered postponing graduating or do you have your mind set on graduating on time? That really is your best option.

Since you only want to apply MD, you are going to have to do something to increase your GPA. You might get lucky but it is going to really be rough.

Originally posted by camisho
... as I don't really agree with the philosophy.
who does?
kekekegay.gif

if you can get into georgetown's program, that's definitely worth the time spent. but, yeah, SGU is your next best bet, IMHO.

I really want to graduate on time, this May. I will put all my efforts into the Georgetown program if I get in. If I do well there, say >=3.6, shouldn't I have a good shot somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
You know it's really hard to say. There are people who get in to MD schools with GPA's less than 3.0 and the schools really do like an upward trend. Your best bet is to call the schools you are interested in and start forming a reputation with the dean of admissions and ask for his advice. Then apply anyways if you have the money and see what happens. You might get lucky. There might be something in your application that really appeals to the med schools.

I really want to graduate on time, this May. I will put all my efforts into the Georgetown program if I get in. If I do well there, say >=3.6, shouldn't I have a good shot somewhere?
I've heard that approx. 20% are accepted directly into georgetown's MD program. And a large percentage get into med school somewhere. But I don't know how that corresponds to one's GPA.
Good luck.

I think about 85% of the people who start each year at G'town's SMP get in somewhere. This includes the people who leave during the year, the people who don't do well enough to get their degrees (gpa below 3.0), and the people who change their minds about medicine and decide not to do it at all after the year. I think they get to that percentage within two-three years of completing the SMP. In my year, about 60% of the class got into med school the same year that they applied. I think it's safe to say that just about everyone who had a gpa over 3.5 for the year and applied while in the program did get in somewhere.

forgive the ignorance, what's an SMP?

Zep

SMP=Special Masters Program, specifically the one at Georgetown. :)

I hope to provide a little inspiration to those applying with low GPAs. I graduated from the University of Chicago with a GPA lower than 3.0 both overall and in the sciences (downward trend from freshman to senior). I opted to get a Masters in Clinical Gerontology. It wasn't very rigorous and I was able to achieve a 4.0 in that program. Furthermore, I took 10 hours of upper level science courses at a local state university after receiving my masters. I did this for two reasons: 1)to defer undergraduate loans and 2) to show I could do the work necessary to become a physician. However, my overall GPA after the the PB work only went up to a 3.04, and my science remained below a 3.0 (2.98 to be exact).
I took the MCAT in August of last year and made a 35N. I chose to wait until this application cycle so I could get my applications in early. My recommendations were probably average and I don't have much clinical experience beyond working in an assisted living facility as a caregiver this past year, and the internship during my masters program.
To sum it up, I was accepted into a Texas school this past weekend. It is not impossible to get into med school with many negative values on your application. Continue to work hard and it will probably pay off in the end.

Advice for those with low GPAs:
1)get a high MCAT because more than any other standardized exam, it shows how much you know. People with low scores will argue against that, but really it tests knowledge. What good is a 4.0 if you can't show that you retain what you have learned?
2)Get some Post Bacc work done. Do well. Grades lower than A's probably won't cut it.
3)If you decide to get a graduate degree, I would consider things other than a masters in biology or similar field. Most people choose those fields. Set yourself apart! C'mon, with an aging population, how is it possible for Gerontology NOT to look good? I'm not saying I chose gerontology for this reason, I have always held jobs working with the elderly, but choose something that interests you, applies to medicine, and is DIFFERENT.
4)Move to TX. J/k. I only added this to show that I am not naive. I realize that no amount of work could get me accepted into a UC school. But seriously, don't apply to Harvard or Hopkins. It's a waste of money and time. Be realistic!!! Also, don't choose schools just because of their low statistics. This may sound like a contradiction, but applying to BU is like pissing $100 down the drain. I know, because I'm still kicking myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Go shawred! Congratulations! :clap:

It is infamous to most adcoms that JHU is a huge grade deflation. That might help you. Still, I dont know 3.0 is pretty low. Perhaps you should apply to your weakest state school. Another thing to do is a postbac or masters or phd. I wouldnt waste money and apply before undergrad graduation, but if you have the money and time, you should try. However, all those secondaries and interviews are only going to hurt your gpa if you dont get in this time and need to reapply a second time.

I'd also say on top of the postbac or masters, it'll help a lot to do something significant outside of academics. Travel to some poor country and provide care, or publish 5 papers, will help tremendously.

Originally posted by papilloma
I'd also say on top of the postbac or masters, it'll help a lot to do something significant outside of academics. Travel to some poor country and provide care, or publish 5 papers, will help tremendously.

Maybe it will help maybe it wont.

You really need to consider with a low undergrad GPA if masters is the way you want to go. For my situation doing a masters was the very wrong way to go. I would have been so much better off doing post bacc work, and yes, as a matter of fact, I did travel to some poor country and provide care.

Originally posted by Megalofyia
Maybe it will help maybe it wont.

You really need to consider with a low undergrad GPA if masters is the way you want to go. For my situation doing a masters was the very wrong way to go. I would have been so much better off doing post bacc work, and yes, as a matter of fact, I did travel to some poor country and provide care.

Megalofyia,

Why would a masters not help?.......or why did it not help in your case. I am doing a masters program (not only to show adcoms I can do well in school) but also for my own education. Why did this not work for you?

I am just finding out that many of the schools I applied to care ALOT more about undergrad GPA than proving myself. If your curious I made a 3.9 GPA in grad school. Even the school that suggested I do the masters turned around in the end and told me they would have liked to have seen a higher undergrad GPA.

i think if you want to apply you should go for it. many ppl have similar stats (32, right?) and get in to med schools.
of course know that it might not pan out but whether you apply just depends on your desire to go right away and your finances. it's not just pouring money down the drain; it's a good 50% chance i'd guess.

i'm sure the masters would still help. it's better than sitting on your ass at home watching tv all day. i wasnt thinking that the gpa in masters would help much, because grad grades are all inflated, but the research thesis and the pubs and the letters of rec that come out of the masters is what i believe might help gain some ground.

Originally posted by Megalofyia
I am just finding out that many of the schools I applied to care ALOT more about undergrad GPA than proving myself. If your curious I made a 3.9 GPA in grad school. Even the school that suggested I do the masters turned around in the end and told me they would have liked to have seen a higher undergrad GPA.

One cant blindly look at statistics and use that as probability. You can say all applicants statistically show 50% of getting admitted. Does that mean if my brother at age 13 applies, he will have 50% of getting in? He'd have 0% because he hasnt even taken MCAT. Not everyone who decides to apply have 50%. As example, one with a super resume and scores will have 95% chance, whereas one with unimpressive resume and scores will have 5% of getting admitted, balancing the total to be 50%.

Originally posted by care bear
i think if you want to apply you should go for it. many ppl have similar stats (32, right?) and get in to med schools.
of course know that it might not pan out but whether you apply just depends on your desire to go right away and your finances. it's not just pouring money down the drain; it's a good 50% chance i'd guess.

i'm sure the masters would still help. it's better than sitting on your ass at home watching tv all day. i wasnt thinking that the gpa in masters would help much, because grad grades are all inflated, but the research thesis and the pubs and the letters of rec that come out of the masters is what i believe might help gain some ground.

Some pay be inflated. The school I went to didnt' curve grades or anything. If you failed you failed.

I'm sure a masters looks better than sitting on your ass. However, I was illadvised and should have done postbacc stuff instead.

One cant blindly look at statistics and use that as probability. You can say all applicants statistically show 50% of getting admitted. Does that mean if my brother at age 13 applies, he will have 50% of getting in? He'd have 0% because he hasnt even taken MCAT. Not everyone who decides to apply have 50%. As example, one with a super resume and scores will have 95% chance, whereas one with unimpressive resume and scores will have 5% of getting admitted, balancing the total to be 50%.

Exactly. Assuming the admission rate is around 50% (it's actually closer to 40-45%, IIRC), chances are you'd either fall above or below the mean (many interviews or not-that-many or none).

I was reading your thread and wanted to throw my weight or input into the discussion.

I think (to me) it's obvious that with a lower than 3.0 Science GPA and 32 MCAT..... when I see it, it shows two things:

1) You have potential
2) Your past may have been a little rocky... or your work ethic is questionable.

By these two assumptions, I don't mean to assume too many things. I'm just saying what I would think if I were an adcom and reading your profile- GPA and MCAT first.

I mean, JHU is a tough tough school. I go to a similar school... grading is tough here too. very few profs like to give A's.. and considering the strength of the JHU's premeds... it's really hard to near impossible to kick ass at a school like that.

But at the same time, a science GPA lower than 3.0 is like a slap to any adcom's face. It raises a lot of questions... your work ethic. how can you handle medical school if it's that difficult and stressful/competitive if you can't handle undergrad at JHU?

I think the clear cut (to me of course) solution to this is kinda to negate the negatives. Take a postbacc program for one, two years. Do the Finch thing if you have to, Tulane has one too, Drexel has a couple.

The postbacc will help you prove that you have the dedication and motivation to succeed. It pretty much erases a lot of the ifs and the questions about your lower than normal science GPA. Combined with the fact that you have an outstanding MCAT, you'll play the "I'm an underdog but give me a chance" role really well.

Best of luck tho.

Hi, I was wondering how bad it would be to have a Science GPA below 3.0, I'm talking like 2.97? Would I get any interviews? Would having a 3.0 science gpa be that big of a difference in the matter (like pre-screens, etc.)? My MCAT is 32R, overall gpa close to 3.2, from JHU. Thanks, I just need to figure out how bad it is to have like a 2.97-2.98 science GPA (I am assuming, of course, that there is no rounding involved).

May I ask if you've been out of school for a while or if you're applying to medical school while still in college? In other words, are you a non-traditional applicant?

yup the bad gpa can kill you.

Last edited:
Originally posted by gujuDoc
From what I understand, at least where I go to school, the Admissions director said they don't even look at people without a 3.0 sci GPA or above.

3.0 is the minimum cutoff in initial screening, so it would be wise to bring it up or do a postbac or Master's program in science to show you can handle the course work and bring your GPA up.

that's the advice that was given to me by the University of South Florida College of Medicine's Admission Director.

I see. That's what I was guessing as well. Well, my GPA is actually, 2.999 which rounds to 3.0 with two sig figs. I still have take a few premed requirements which, hopefully, will bring it up a tad (but not that much). I would consider some post bac programs but I would like to try and apply first. I do, however, have a sort of "odd condition" that will, hopefully, increase my chances of gaining acceptance. We'll see.

That's a question I've been meaning to ask:
How many sig figs do the med schools look at?

'cause 3.38 and will look even better as a 3.4

Originally posted by chicagomel
That's a question I've been meaning to ask:
How many sig figs do the med schools look at?

'cause 3.38 and will look even better as a 3.4

Yeah, I think it's 2 sig figs. It'd suck if it was only ONE sig fig for us 3.49 and less --> 3. Haha.

But then that would be cool if you were 3.50 or above --> 4

I'm guessing some schools would have 3 sig figs. Not sure. Good question.

;)