Science GPA Help!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerhouseofthecell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question as to how Dental Adcom's looks at your sGPA when it comes to Math classes. So I'm extremely terrible at math (it just doesn't click in my head) and have received a D in my Calculus class.

My sGPA has taken a huge hit as it went down from a 3.56 to a saddening 3.28. This is due to Calculus being a 4.5 credit class which weighs heavy on the GPA in general.

I have already taken GenChem 1&2, OChem 1&2, took Physics 1, and currently taking Bio 1 in the summer. I have done pretty decent in these classes (none of which are below a B+, the sciences come easy to me), and now the question is that will the D in Calc be frowned upon and really justify my new sGPA or will they see how I did in my real science courses and be more lenient on my sGPA. I really don't believe that Maths should be included in the sGPA and d0n't know how exactly they are included in the sciences, but that's just me complaining.

Now, I will be retaking the Calculus class, but the way my college handles D, is that the second grade you receive in the retake course will be averaged with the grade you received the first time around. So even if I got an A (which for me, it's nearly an impossible task) , it would still be averaged into my sGPA as a B-.

The best thing about this whole thing is that my major requires me to take not just Calc 1 but Calc 2, so I'm really looking forward to that!

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to retake the course for some dental schools and Cs are the lowest they take.

As for your sgpa its still above 3.0, and if u do well will be over 3.3+ in your later science courses. So it's not a biggie.

B- > D, so retake and shoot for that A.

Assess what went wrong in Calculus I and improve your study habits and academic resources for Calculus II.