Science Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elz787

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if schools really look at your science gpa, lets say your overall gpa is around a 3.7, and sci gpa is 3.4, will they look down on the sci gpa? assuming you have a decent DAT ,which i haven't taken yet.

Members don't see this ad.

elz787 said:
hi, i was wondering if schools really look at your science gpa, lets say your overall gpa is around a 3.7, and sci gpa is 3.4, will they look down on the sci gpa? assuming you have a decent DAT ,which i haven't taken yet.

Your stats are definetly above average depending on which schools you will be applying to. D-schools look at both the science and the overall. The science helps them gets a sense of how you will do in Dental school. Good Luck!!!

Dentist 2 be said:
Your stats are definetly above average depending on which schools you will be applying to. D-schools look at both the science and the overall. The science helps them gets a sense of how you will do in Dental school. Good Luck!!!

what dental schools would be recommended to apply to? not to mention i'll be taking the DAT early AUGUST, will it be too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
elz787 said:
what dental schools would be recommended to apply to? not to mention i'll be taking the DAT early AUGUST, will it be too late?

You can take the DAT in August and if you do reasonably well then it will not be a problem. But I suggest that you apply in May/June. Interviews begin in late August/ September and schools start to send out confirmation (letters/postacrds that they received your stuff) around July/August. You will probably just receive a letter stating that they are missing your DAT but that will most likely be in August. So if you take the DAT in August you can call the schools and fax your scores in before they get the official reports from the ADA. That way you will still be at the top of the pile. You should be more than fine.

As to which schools to apply to...Right now you are probably a foot in granting you have experience, extracurriculars and volunteer work. Your GPA is very solid and if you score in the 19-20 range then you should be good to go for most schools except probably Harvard, Columbia?, basically the top tiers schools. However, if you score in the 20s you would probably get into all the schools judging solely by numbers. GOOD LUCK!!!!

elz787 said:

you are stressing out too much with your stats you are good even if u apply in september, dont do that though send your application in before u take the dat then when u take your it just send in the results to schools individually i think you can pretty much apply anywhere you please(maybe not harvard), look at the website bellow it has the average stats for each school granted they might have gone up a little since last year its a good source for when you are picking out schools. lastly put a good amount of time in for the dat studying and do good i think national average is now close to 18 so shoot for that and higher, good luck!

http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

columbia is a definite option for you even though it;s a top school just harvard is a bit more demanding and other schools like u of missisippi, iowa... just look at the website i posted

thanks you guys, yes I do have extracurriculars and a bit of shadowing done, although no "leadership (officer)" positions (hope thats ok). I definitely haven't started my essay or personal statement, but hopefully I'll have it done by June. Thanks again for the info. : )

elz787 said:
thanks you guys, yes I do have extracurriculars and a bit of shadowing done, although no "leadership (officer)" positions (hope thats ok). I definitely haven't started my essay or personal statement, but hopefully I'll have it done by June. Thanks again for the info. : )

No Prob. Lots of Luck.

BTW you don't have to have leadership potions. Your extracurriculars just show schools that you are a sociable person who does other things besides studying.

Your overall GPA is excellent.. and your science GPA is Great also, nothing to be worried about. You seem like a strong applicant and you will get in if you do ok on the DAT. If I were you I would worry less about GPA and the timing of your application....GOOD LUCK and be proud of yourself! :thumbup:

I agree with all that's been said. Do well on the DAT (which you will). And DO send your application in early. AADSAS really messes up with some applicants and those delays can take a month or more to get the right stuff to the school. The best way to eliminate that possible error damaging your application is by you getting your application in early enough to negate any potential error that AADSAS might make.

Submit the appliation in May, take your DAT and do well in August, and you should be fine. The ADA is really quick about getting those DAT scores to the schools (5-10 days usually). The bogdown, if there is one, will be with AADSAS.

Good luck!

ItsGavinC said:
I agree with all that's been said. Do well on the DAT (which you will). And DO send your application in early. AADSAS really messes up with some applicants and those delays can take a month or more to get the right stuff to the school. The best way to eliminate that possible error damaging your application is by you getting your application in early enough to negate any potential error that AADSAS might make.

Submit the appliation in May, take your DAT and do well in August, and you should be fine. The ADA is really quick about getting those DAT scores to the schools (5-10 days usually). The bogdown, if there is one, will be with AADSAS.

Good luck!

definitely get your app in in May. My friends told me to apply early, but they weren't specific on the time. I got it done in Aug thinking that was pretty early, but no... It was way too late already.

The easiest to control factor in all of this is the timing of your app. By being the first ones to apply, you pretty much gain a huge advantage over the other applicants.