Science letter for MD PhD, interesting situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatuey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my science professors agreed to write my a letter of recommendation for MD/PhD programs. When I offered to meet with him to discuss my plans in more detail, he explained that his "policy is not to meet with students outside of normal class interactions to "fluff" rec letters with personal details (to be fair and equitable to all students he writes letters for)." It's safe to say that my in-class interactions with him were strong and that I asked many thoughtful questions throughout the semester. Knowing from the start that he wouldn't be the type to "fluff' things, I asked him for a letter because he seems like a good guy whose research interests and course material align well with my future plans. However, should I be concerned about his "policy" and the fact that he didn't ask me for my personal statement or CV? I do appreciate his no-bull**** attitude, but I'm not totally sure what to make of it in the context of an LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO I would not get a letter from that person. The whole point of a letter is the personal stuff - especially for something as competitive as a MD/PhD program. Everyone basically has high stats in every measurable parameter so something needs to help distinguish the applicant pool

If you have another science prof or research mentor (better) - I would go with that individual.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO I would not get a letter from that person. The whole point of a letter is the personal stuff - especially for something as competitive as a MD/PhD program. Everyone basically has high stats in every measurable parameter so something needs to help distinguish the applicant pool
I see what you're saying. I've already got two personal letters from both of my PIs, and my understanding is that I also need ~2 letters from science professors who taught me in a course. It was difficult for me to get to know my other science professors in undergrad, and I didn't have the same interest for subjects like chemistry as I did for neuroscience. I got to know this professor to the extent that I could, and my impression is that he doesn't write a letter for anyone who asks for one. I appreciate your input though. I'll keep that in mind.

One of my science professors agreed to write my a letter of recommendation for MD/PhD programs. When I offered to meet with him to discuss my plans in more detail, he explained that his "policy is not to meet with students outside of normal class interactions to "fluff" rec letters with personal details (to be fair and equitable to all students he writes letters for)." It's safe to say that my in-class interactions with him were strong and that I asked many thoughtful questions throughout the semester. Knowing from the start that he wouldn't be the type to "fluff' things, I asked him for a letter because he seems like a good guy whose research interests and course material align well with my future plans. However, should I be concerned about his "policy" and the fact that he didn't ask me for my personal statement or CV? I do appreciate his no-bull**** attitude, but I'm not totally sure what to make of it in the context of an LOR.
A science professor who "knows you well" can provide specific information about your strengths, experience, merits and potential as an aspiring MD/PhD student. It should provide detailed and meaningful information that clearly distinguishes you from "all" other applicants who are vying for admission to competitive MD/PhD programs.

Outside of normal class interactions, one of the most useful ways to obtain meaningful and detailed information about you is by meeting with you, on a one-on-one basis, or by supervising you in clinical/research settings. Or, at the very least, reading your cv or personal statement. Hmmm ... the MD/PhD application process doesn't have anything to do with accommodating "all" students the professor writes letters for ... because each LOR is intended to evaluate only ONE student at a time.

For these reasons, I am not persuaded this science professor is in the best position to write a detailed and positive MD/PhD LOR on your behalf at this time.

In any event, I wish you the very best of success in the pursuit of an MD/PhD degree! :)

Last edited: