SCO Pre-req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lukas26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only posted on here a couple of times, and never once about academics, but I have a question that I pretty well know the answer to. I'm a 27 old sophomore (yeah, I started LATE) and I want to go to SCO. Actually, I've really never even thought of going anywhere else. So here's my question...on their website, it says that the pre-reqs they require for admission are One year of English, One year of Gen. Psychology, One year of Social Sciences, one course of statistics, calculus, one year of Gen. Biology with labs, one course of micro with lab, one year of physics with labs, one year of chem with labs, one course of organic with lab and biochem. So, my question is, if I take these courses, have junior status, and a good/great (3.6-3.8) GPA and do well on the OAT, can I skip the last year of undergrad and go in without a bachelors degree? That would put me at 102 credit hours if I completed this Fall semester as planned and hit each one on the list that I don't already have.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know if you meet the course requirements you can apply. They do tend to favor people with degrees. At least that's my understanding.

Yes you can still apply as long as you have taken all the prereqs (or are in the process).

However, I remember seeing a statistic somewhere that around 98% of their students have degrees... which essentially means that only about 1 person out the 140 class gets in without one.

Are you in one of the scholarship states? This could help your chances if your state has an open seat available.

Members don't see this ad :)
SCO will accept people without degrees, but your application better be stellar... 100% of my class has degrees, and I think 98 or 99% of both classes below mine have one as well. Good luck!!

Yes you can still apply as long as you have taken all the prereqs (or are in the process).

However, I remember seeing a statistic somewhere that around 98% of their students have degrees... which essentially means that only about 1 person out the 140 class gets in without one.

Are you in one of the scholarship states? This could help your chances if your state has an open seat available.

I live in Kentucky, and I know that we don't have an optometry program within the state, so we have some type of "scholarship" agreement for in-state tuiton costs with SCO, UofA and IU. I think there are 14 of these available each year. Is that what you mean? Also, if I go ahead with completing a bachelors, is there anything that looks better, for example, business with pre-req's versus a degree in Chem or Biology? Also, I noticed A&P wasn't required, but would it be beneficial to take it?

Last edited:
I live in Kentucky, and I know that we don't have an optometry program within the state, so we have some type of "scholarship" agreement for in-state tuiton costs with SCO, UofA and IU. I think there are 14 of these available each year. Is that what you mean? Also, if I go ahead with completing a bachelors, is there anything that looks better, for example, business with pre-req's versus a degree in Chem or Biology? Also, I noticed A&P wasn't required, but would it be beneficial to take it?

A&P is required for some schools, even though it seems like the majority just recommend it. You can major in anything you want to enter optometry school. However, in my personal opinion, you might be more prepared for the rigor of the sciences if you major in a science in undergrad. From what a couple of the schools told me as well, it is acceptable for your GPA to be a little lower if you major in a science than if you major in business for example. I only talked to a few schools about it though. You might want to call the ones that you are specifically interested in to learn their take!

Hi.
Could someone tell me what the scholarship states are? Or where can I look for them?