SCO vs. UAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both SCO and UAB are excellent schools from what I can see, but I am in a tough situation in deciding which to attend. :(

For current students or recent graduates of SCO or UAB, what is your opinion of the school and would you recommend it? What are the reasons that you chose the school that you did, and is there anything you did not like? Please also comment on clinical experience, amount of patient contact, diversity in patient contact, interaction with faculty, and life in Memphis/Birmingham.

I'd love to hear both sides. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak as a UAB optometry student, however, I am a UAB undergraduate, and I have accepted my seat at UABSO. I love Birmingham and all that UAB has offered for me. The city itself is really building up, and there a much younger crowd within downtown. I love that I can be close to wonderful restaurants, concert venues, etc. while still being only a few minutes from tons of outdoor fun. I have lived downtown and have always felt completely safe. I am really excited to continue as a Blazer for optometry school since I know the reputation it has in healthcare. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response! Birmingham is a beautiful city and I do think I would enjoy living there for 4 years. How is parking at UAB and traffic in the city? Are civilians generally nice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Parking can be a problem. I'm not going to lie. However, as long as you get to campus before 10:00 AM, you shouldn't have a problem. And UAB is now running shuttles to bring students from parking lots further from main campus. So that's a very nice improvement that was just implemented. As far as people here, I would say people are definitely pretty nice. Of course you'll have the occasional jerk. I rarely encounter rude people.

Does anyone have anything to add about SCO or UAB? Current students? Currently making this same decision.

Bringing this board back to life...

I'm in this same position and cannot decide between UAB or SCO.
ANY input into the schools, good and bad, will be helpful...

They are pretty close in tuition with UAB's merit scholarship. So disregarding that I'm trying to make a decision.

Of course you'll have the occasional jerk. I rarely encounter rude people.
MMoT9l