Scope of O-Chem on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most people on this forum have said to focus on SN1/SN2 E1/E2 rxns. However I was wondering if anyone had ever gotten questions on separating products before. I think it's Ch 12 in the Kaplan book that goes over Distillation/Recrystallization/Chromatography/Filtration/etc.... Am I going to see a question like "Which solvent would be best used to move ___ to the aqueous layer for extraction?" or something like that?

Also, I'm looking for SN1/2/E1/2 style questions for practice. I have TopScore/Kaplan blue book/ExamKrackers 1001 organic chem, but i'm still not having much luck finding a large amount of questions. Anyone have any good resources?

Thanks,
Utes

Members don't see this ad.

ItsGavinC said:
I had two questions like that on my portion of the exam, but that was in 2002.

It's been almost a year since I took the DAT, but I do remember having a couple of similar questions. As I recall they were rather straight forward, such as a list of non-polar solvents and the one answer that is polar would work or a list of boiling points are listed for two solutions and you are required to determine which one will fraction out first, etc.

yep me too. i had 2 similar questions.

good luck. dont worry about ochem part so much. personally i feel that the ochem part was the easiest section of all.