Score not changing at all (literally)...any help? Test in two weeks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhs2252

Reaction score
Hello! I'm not sure what to do. My test is in a little over two weeks. I've taken three out of the five AAMC practice tests and have literally gotten a 509 on every...single...one. I've left room in between, figured out what I did wrong, improved my test-taking skills (or so I thought). When I retook my first two exams a month after I originally took them, I obviously forgot what the questions were and scored really high (517-519). Now, I'm assuming I definitely had a bit of help from my subconscious memory. Do you have any tips on how to improve my score? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell me more about your plan to this point and your background.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thanks! I am a senior at UCLA. I did content review for about three months, in which I memorized MileDown MCAT deck. Started doing practice MCATs since the middle of December. I've taken about 10 practice tests so far. I took the first two AAMCs in January and got a 509 on both. My MCAT was canceled due to COVID about two weeks before. I redid section banks, tried nailing down the MCAT-creator mindset. I retook the first two AAMC exams a month later and scored a 517 and 519 (granted, it was a retake so definitely not a representative score but I really thought I nailed the test-taking strategies). I just took AAMC FL 2 and still scored a 509...feeling a bit discouraged since I got the same score three times. Any tips? My test is in a bit over two weeks. I have AAMC FL 3 and 4 left and definitely want to improve it by at least a couple of points. Thank you!

What is your goal score? What have your score breakdowns been? A 508-510 plateau point isn’t uncommon during prep but it’s important to try to examine what might be going on: content gaps, timing, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your goal score? What have your score breakdowns been? A 508-510 plateau point isn’t uncommon during prep but it’s important to try to examine what might be going on: content gaps, timing, etc.
Thanks! My goal score is anything above a 510. I would be really, really happy with somewhere around 513 or higher. And timing doesn't feel like an issue with me. I usually pace myself quite well.

I’d suggest working on cars. Content knowledge can usually get most folks to the 508-511 range but beyond that require more test taking, reading comprehension, and reasoning skills. My guess is if you do a deep dive into questions you’re missing that you’ll start to notice some trends that have less to do with content. This is the bulb of the work that I do with students preparing for the mcat.

I’d suggest working on cars. Content knowledge can usually get most folks to the 508-511 range but beyond that require more test taking, reading comprehension, and reasoning skills. My guess is if you do a deep dive into questions you’re missing that you’ll start to notice some trends that have less to do with content. This is the bulb of the work that I do with students preparing for the mcat.
Thank you for your feedback! Do you have any suggestions for extra CARS passages? I already finished all of the AAMC material for this year.