Scored a 514 in 2018. Had to retake due to score expiry, and today I got my score back: 507. At a loss as to next steps and what this means.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamyourvilli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I graduated from a T-5 public school in May 2018. I took my MCAT in August 2018 and scored a 514 (126/131/127/130). After my MCAT, I began working for the federal government as a health policy analyst. I worked there for two years, and in my second year, applied to medical school (last cycle/COVID cycle). I received two interviews, which turned into two waitlists, and then two rejections.

I started preparing to reapply around May (a couple of months ago). I realized that my MCAT score would no longer be applicable at a majority of schools due to score expiry, so I scheduled a retake for July 30th. Today, I got my score back, and it is a 507 (125/124/127/131). I'm not particularly distraught even though I am certainly confused as to how I messed CARS up this badly (I never once scored below a 130 on a a practice exam, it is my strongest skill dating back to SAT-era, the fact that I am a writer and editor for various publications etc).

Aside from emotional conflict, most of the confusion comes from the fact that: I don't know what this means or how to make sense of it.

1. Are all MD schools out of the question now?
  2. Do I still have a shot at DO schools?
  3. How will this score drop be perceived since I didn't take a retake out of desire to improve a poor score, but rather that I HAD to due to score expiry?
Background: 25M, ORM, strong resume (totaling nearly 6000 hours of meaningful and unique experiences), strong essays (as relayed to me by adcoms in the previous cycle as well as anyone who I've requested to review them), strong LORs (I wrote most of them and also had them extensively reviewed), and 75th-100th percentile CASPER score.

I just don't know how to make sense of this, and I did not have a plan in place for this possible outcome. I was planning on applying in the current cycle and have a ton of secondaries prewritten, but now it seems every single one of them belongs in the trash since I had anticipated at the very least a similar performance to my August 2018 MCAT and therefore a school list reflecting that anticipated performance.

I'm not sure who to talk to who is an authority on this subject so I just feel kind of lost. As far as emotions go, there's recognition that something has gone terribly wrong but because I'm ignorant as far as what the consequences of this score drop are, I'm just left completely and utterly confused.

Any advice or help you all can offer is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a problem, especially as an ORM. Since you are clearly capable of an above average score (average for Asian matriculants is 513.8), you need to decide whether to put your plans on hold for yet another year and study your butt off for a retake next spring, not in July, but in March or April, so that you have a score in hand before the application even opens.

Of course, I don't know you, but, from afar, it looks like you are a little rusty and probably got a little complacent since you did reasonably well before. I don't think there is any doubt you can do as well or better than before if you bear down and focus like you did the first time.

You'd be on the late side for MD now in any event. As an ORM with a pretty significant drop from an expired 514, I don't see you getting a lot of love from MDs as a September reapplicant. I'm not sure why you mentioned T-5 public school, or what that even means, but it's not going to do anything for an ORM reapplicant in September who turned an expired 514 into a current 507.

If you're okay with DO, OTOH, you should probably be fine, and I have a feeling they'd be thrilled to have you. Good luck!

Last edited:
We don't know what your GPA is but I'm assuming it's 3.7+. Apply to your state schools as well as newer MD schools. I think you can still apply in September, early September, to MD schools. You will/should fare better at schools that average your scores. I'm not sure where that list is so dig for that.

Just to help keep your head grounded,
Things can happen. Maybe something was different in the first take vs the retake, but it's impossible to know what it was. What is certainly known is that you will be a doctor with your current stats.

We don't know what your GPA is but I'm assuming it's 3.7+. Apply to your state schools as well as newer MD schools. I think you can still apply in September, early September, to MD schools. You will/should fare better at schools that average your scores. I'm not sure where that list is so dig for that.

Just to help keep your head grounded,
Things can happen. Maybe something was different in the first take vs the retake, but it's impossible to know what it was. What is certainly known is that you will be a doctor with your current stats.
The first score is expired. Why would anyone average a score they wouldn't otherwise accept?

Members don't see this ad :)
The first score is expired. Why would anyone average a score they wouldn't otherwise accept?

@Goro's school averages scores, other schools may do the same or differently, and OP should call all schools on his list to confirm their policy on multiple MCAT scores. They do not need to retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone:

I graduated from a T-5 public school in May 2018. I took my MCAT in August 2018 and scored a 514 (126/131/127/130). After my MCAT, I began working for the federal government as a health policy analyst. I worked there for two years, and in my second year, applied to medical school (last cycle/COVID cycle). I received two interviews, which turned into two waitlists, and then two rejections.

I started preparing to reapply around May (a couple of months ago). I realized that my MCAT score would no longer be applicable at a majority of schools due to score expiry, so I scheduled a retake for July 30th. Today, I got my score back, and it is a 507 (125/124/127/131). I'm not particularly distraught even though I am certainly confused as to how I messed CARS up this badly (I never once scored below a 130 on a a practice exam, it is my strongest skill dating back to SAT-era, the fact that I am a writer and editor for various publications etc).

Aside from emotional conflict, most of the confusion comes from the fact that: I don't know what this means or how to make sense of it.

1. Are all MD schools out of the question now?
  2. Do I still have a shot at DO schools?
  3. How will this score drop be perceived since I didn't take a retake out of desire to improve a poor score, but rather that I HAD to due to score expiry?
Background: 25M, ORM, strong resume (totaling nearly 6000 hours of meaningful and unique experiences), strong essays (as relayed to me by adcoms in the previous cycle as well as anyone who I've requested to review them), strong LORs (I wrote most of them and also had them extensively reviewed), and 75th-100th percentile CASPER score.

I just don't know how to make sense of this, and I did not have a plan in place for this possible outcome. I was planning on applying in the current cycle and have a ton of secondaries prewritten, but now it seems every single one of them belongs in the trash since I had anticipated at the very least a similar performance to my August 2018 MCAT and therefore a school list reflecting that anticipated performance.

I'm not sure who to talk to who is an authority on this subject so I just feel kind of lost. As far as emotions go, there's recognition that something has gone terribly wrong but because I'm ignorant as far as what the consequences of this score drop are, I'm just left completely and utterly confused.

Any advice or help you all can offer is much appreciated.
1) No
2) Yes
3) It will be seen as knowledge decay

Because averaging has been recommended practice by the developers of the test.
So, scores that cannot be used because they are too old get averaged? In that case, why force the retake at all?

If the theory is that the score is too stale to be relied upon, why on earth would a school give a candidate the benefit of the doubt and average it with a score that is significantly below the old one, thereby validating the theory that the old score is not currently representative of the candidate's abilities?

I honestly thought the averaging (which many schools do not formally do anyway) only applied to current scores that were eligible to be used to meet the testing requirement. If not, then expired is not really expired, and there is no need to retake!

Last edited:
So, scores that cannot be used because they are too old get averaged? In that case, why force the retake at all?

If the theory is that the score is too stale to be relied upon, why on earth would a school give a candidate the benefit of the doubt and average it with a score that is significantly below the old one, thereby validating the theory that the old score is not currently representative of the candidate's abilities?

I honestly thought the averaging (which many schools do not formally do anyway) only applied to current scores that were eligible to used to meet the testing requirement. If not, then expired is not really expired, and there is no need to retake!
Schools require fresh MCAT scores because abilities change. Sadly, some folks who could take a test with ease, lose that ability (usually through no fault of their own).
The AAMC published at least two studies that confirmed that the best estimate of medical academic outcomes for those with multiple scores is acheived by averaging scores. This is without regard to whether the older tests were "expired" or not.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Schools require fresh MCAT scores because abilities change. Sadly, some folks who could take a test with ease, lose that ability (usually through no fault of their own).
The AAMC published at least two studies that confirmed that the best estimate of medical academic outcomes for thiose with multiple scores is acheived by averaging scores. This is without regard to whether the older tests were "expired" or not.
I'm sorry for being dense, but this seems internally contradictory to me.

I totally understand AAMC's position that the best measure of ability is the average of scores, and that some schools go a step further to give an additional benefit to applicants by only looking at the highest score. But, the theory behind not accepting older scores is, as you say, that abilities atrophy over time if they go unused.

If a school is going to require a retake under that theory, and it's going to prove out through a significantly lower score, why lessen that impact through averaging? If a school is inclined to do that, why require the retake at all? After all, they are under no obligation to do so.

But, the theory behind not accepting older scores is, as you say, that abilities atrophy over time if they go unused.
Although true, this is not the only way that abilities are lost.

Reactions: 1 users