scpecialty psychiatric clinics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suedehead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wondering how many other residents out there are blessed (or cursed) with 'specialty' clinics in their psych training - PTSD, OCD, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, psychotic disorders, etc, etc. You have this opportunity? Or are most psych residency clinics generally general?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would this be a curse? What would make someone hate a specialty clinic, like sleep for example, other than just not enjoying that specialty. For the most part sleep is an elective so its not a big deal but I do plan on doing some volunteer faculty-ing in the future so I am curious.

Why would this be a curse? What would make someone hate a specialty clinic, like sleep for example, other than just not enjoying that specialty. For the most part sleep is an elective so its not a big deal but I do plan on doing some volunteer faculty-ing in the future so I am curious.

I couldn't agree more. just wanted to welcome multiple perspectives.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see.
I was wondering if there was something about these clinics that residents particularly didn't like. I have a habit of getting competitive about that kind of thing, in this case wanting my clinic to be the best. :D

Given my wicked case of adult ADHD, seeing the same diagnosis over and over and over again would leave me considering self-injury - that why I chose CL since I get to run from ER to ICU to OB to transplant ward etc. and never have to see the same thing twice in a row.

I have an Effexor/Abilify clinic, a Risperdal/Clozaril clinic, a Vistaril/Depakote clinic, and a Zoloft/Namenda clinic. Last semester I also had Consta outreach mobile team and a Concerta clinic. I also have a shift in the ED on Monday nights, which I call "Continuity Clinic."

My general residency had an Anxiety, Personality DO, Substance Abuse, Bipolar, Perinatal, and Treatment resistant depression/ECT clinics. We also had a "general" clinic that would take anything in-between. Psychosis experience was basically spending a day at community mental health, our psych ER, plus the 1st 2 years seeing a lot of psychosis in an inpatient.

For my child fellowship we have an ADHD, Anxiety, treatment resistant depression/ECT, and Autism. We also have general clinics that can takes kids that don't fit into those.

Personally, I really like having speciality clinics. It helps even out the types of patients you see and you get to work with attendings who are experts in those areas.

Personally, I really like having speciality clinics. It helps even out the types of patients you see and you get to work with attendings who are experts in those areas.

And you have clinicians with much more depth of knowledge helping you figure out problem- and disease-specific resources. Not to mention that patients feel like they're getting "specialty care."

We have Anxiety, OCD, Bipolar, psych primary care (total care), eating disorders.

I have been surprised at how few residencies have the psych primary care or med psych...either in clinic or inpatient format. Its a great way to create PCPs who are good at psych prescribing and creates better psychiatrists.

I have an Effexor/Abilify clinic, a Risperdal/Clozaril clinic, a Vistaril/Depakote clinic, and a Zoloft/Namenda clinic. Last semester I also had Consta outreach mobile team and a Concerta clinic. I also have a shift in the ED on Monday nights, which I call "Continuity Clinic."

Thats a good thing to pick up on. Don't become like that. Although you will be surprised...you will have your favorites.

I think super-specializing into fields such as peri-natal, addiction, sleep, treatment resistant depression, etc, is what makes a psychiatrist different than a APRN and thus what makes our skills more marketable.

I think super-specializing into fields such as peri-natal, addiction, sleep, treatment resistant depression, etc, is what makes a psychiatrist different than a APRN and thus what makes our skills more marketable.

I would disagree but I am keeping my 'tone' in check. :)

I do agree (I think) with the thought behind what you say.