Scramble in CA for IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShambhalaRed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking for a friend who's currently applying:

Can an IMG scramble into a spot in California without the authorization letter from the Medical Board or is the letter required even for scramble?

Also, can any IMGs give some insight into the process to get the authorization letter and how long it takes?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The post graduate training authorization letter (PTAL) is required for starting a residency in California. Your friend can try to scramble without it, but it will be very difficult as most programs will most likely want your friend to have it ready. Most programs require it to interview IMG candidates during the match.
I applied for the PTAL and it took me about 2 months to get it. Some things to make sure the process goes quickly is to 1) send in forms L1A to L1E immediately. 2) Make sure the medical college sends in the paperwork immediately, and 3) Do the live fingerprints in CA.

Use the following link for more details on PTAL. http://usmlein.com/usmle/?page_id=74