Scratch Paper on MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTraditional3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Posted about this before, but only response did not answer my question so posting again.

How many sheets of scrap are you given initially at the MCAT exam? That is to say, how many sheets will I have available to take notes on for verbal, before I need to get up and request more? How many sheets are provided at the start of physical sciences, which I can do calculations, before I need to ask for more?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Posted about this before, but only response did not answer my question so posting again.

How many sheets of scrap are you given initially at the MCAT exam? That is to say, how many sheets will I have available to take notes on for verbal, before I need to get up and request more? How many sheets are provided at the start of physical sciences, which I can do calculations, before I need to ask for more?

Thanks

Its going to be test center specific. Some test centers give you a blue book of 8.5x11 paper that have 4 pages, giving you 8 pages front and back. Other test centers give you a smallish, probably 8.5x11 or so whiteboard to write on. I'm sure there are even others that just give you plank printer paper.

You are going to have to call your specific test center to determine what they use and how many pieces of paper you get. Their phone number should be listed on your MCAT conformation email.

Its going to be test center specific. Some test centers give you a blue book of 8.5x11 paper that have 4 pages, giving you 8 pages front and back. Other test centers give you a smallish, probably 8.5x11 or so whiteboard to write on. I'm sure there are even others that just give you plank printer paper.

You are going to have to call your specific test center to determine what they use and how many pieces of paper you get. Their phone number should be listed on your MCAT conformation email.

Ugh whiteboard would be TERRIBLE.

I've gotten into the habit of taking notes during all three sections.. just to keep me focused.

Does anyone know if you can get more scratch paper if necessary or are you confined to just one booklet?

I'll call my testing center tomorrow because that would really kill my testing habits if I get a whiteboard.

You shouldn't run out. Just get a new booklet at the start of every section even if you haven't used it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't run out. Just get a new booklet at the start of every section even if you haven't used it all.

Ok that's what I was wondering, whether they would give you extra booklets at all.

I began taking notes during BS and its helping eliminate stupid mistakes so just tried it tonight with some VR passages and it was awesome. Going to expand to PS. Just keeps me focused, I rarely ever look back at the notes.

Test on Saturday so kind of late to change things up but I'll see how it goes on AAMC 11 tomorrow night!

Just make sure your testing center allows you to "equation vomit" before PS. This helped me.

Also realize that if you mark up a whole booklet of scratch paper, you'll have to exchange it for a new one. No biggie, but if you wrote some bio/orgo tips on it during the 20 minutes of free time before the exam, and then fill it up and exchange it for a new booklet, you won't have access to said notes. Just fyi.

Just make sure your testing center allows you to "equation vomit" before PS. This helped me.

Also realize that if you mark up a whole booklet of scratch paper, you'll have to exchange it for a new one. No biggie, but if you wrote some bio/orgo tips on it during the 20 minutes of free time before the exam, and then fill it up and exchange it for a new booklet, you won't have access to said notes. Just fyi.

I've decided not to write down equations or anything.. I feel confident with being able to recall as necessary.

Its not that it would hurt.. but it would take valuable study time away from me where I'd have to work on "memorizing" the list and spitting them out, etc. as opposed to just seeing the variables I have and recalling the relationships.

I've decided not to write down equations or anything.. I feel confident with being able to recall as necessary.

Its not that it would hurt.. but it would take valuable study time away from me where I'd have to work on "memorizing" the list and spitting them out, etc. as opposed to just seeing the variables I have and recalling the relationships.

:) To each her own.

The testing center is not allowed to prohibit you from writing down equations during the tutorial. I contacted the AAMC and they said that you are free to write down whatever you like on your scrap paper as soon as you check in. If they tell you otherwise, they are in violation of AAMC policy.

Ok that's what I was wondering, whether they would give you extra booklets at all.

I began taking notes during BS and its helping eliminate stupid mistakes so just tried it tonight with some VR passages and it was awesome. Going to expand to PS. Just keeps me focused, I rarely ever look back at the notes.

Test on Saturday so kind of late to change things up but I'll see how it goes on AAMC 11 tomorrow night!

Mine only let me have one booklet at a time, but I could ask for a new booklet whenever I wanted.

This sounds like BS... Not that you're lying, just that it's another unstandardized variable probably screwing people over. :thumbdown:

This sounds like BS... Not that you're lying, just that it's another unstandardized variable probably screwing people over. :thumbdown:

Yea cause that would kind of suck if that were the case..

I called my center today and they said they give me unlimited scratch paper (didn't clarify whether I can keep it all at one time but I don't really need to).