Screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nieceyj12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All - Just looking for some words of advice.

I am a PGY-2 with minimal research experience, but very interested in Heme/Onc. I have a case report, i'm setting up a Bone Marrow Donation drive, I have a ASCO mentor and an RTA to ASCO this year.... all ok. BUT - I started IM as a pre-lim so my schedule is all messed up and I likely won't have a rotation in Onc before applications are due. Am I screwed?

My grades in med-school were good with good, (not great) board scores.

My question - should I even bother applying this year? I ONLY want to go to Emory (location considerations). Is Emory a "TOP" program? Am I gonna need a miracle to get in? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your biggest problem is going to be suicide matching. I'll be blunt...that's just a stupid idea all around. Either you want to do Hem/Onc or you don't. "I only want to do Hem/Onc at one place" translates to "I just want to be at this place and don't really want to do Hem/Onc".

Are you an Emory resident? If not, forget it. If so, time to start kissing some major butt over at the Winship.

Emory is a competitive place for hem/onc and if you're only going to be applying there, you will be competing on 5 spots with much stronger applicants. It's difficult for me to understand how you're so interested in hem/onc when you still haven't done any onc rotations. My opinion: don't apply this year if you don't want to get screwed.