Scripps College Post-Baccalaureate Program (all you need to know)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phenoflier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

If you're reading this page, it means that you are either a.) beginning to consider applying to a post-bac program, b.) actively applying to post-bac programs or c.) deciding between schools. Hopefully this post can be of some assistance. I encourage other alums of Scripps to chime in with additional thoughts and comments.

Why you should consider Scripps
  1. The cohort is intimate. You get to know all your classmates very well and you will help each other succeed. You will not be a face lost in a crowd of 50-200+ aspiring MDs, and that counts for a lot.
  2. The professors are by and large, excellent. They are available for office hours most days of the week and make themselves available if you need them at other times. They want you to succeed because they know you and they see when you put the effort in; like I said, you are not a face in the crowd
  3. It is a real benefit to mix in with the undergraduates. They are hardworking and motivated to succeed. They also make it so that you are not competing directly with the other postbaccs for grades most of the time, making for a more supportive and collegial atmosphere.
  4. The linkages available at Scripps are a great option and one of the biggest (if not the biggest) draw of Scripps vs. other postbac programs that do not have linkage agreements. A linkage allows students to apply to medical school at the beginning of their postbac year and potentially gain admittance contingent upon minimum MCAT scores, grades and interviews.
  5. There fewer linkages than Bryn Mawr, Goucher, JHU. But the percentage of students who successfully link out of Scripps is just as high if not higher than those other programs. This is a smaller program - 25% the size of Bryn Mawr and 50% as large as Goucher. In my class of 17 (the majority of whom did not attempt to link), 7 students successfully linked.
  6. You control your destiny; the grading is fair and scaled across the classes. Even if you get the "hardest" OChem professor, you will not be punished for that class having an average that is 20 points lower than another professor's
  7. MCAT preparation is directly integrated into the curriculum. All students have the option of taking an MCAT preparation course which is conveniently located on campus.
  8. Your fellow postbac students will push you to succeed. Your classmates are your biggest assets at Scripps. You are paying for the opportunity to be pushed by the students around you. They will make you work harder than you ever would on your own and you will do the same for them. This will make you a better candidate for med school.
  9. You will be well prepared to succeed in medical school. The pace of the postbac program can be challenging at times but it is a good early representation of what you will experience as a medical student. Once you have worked out the growing pains of post-bac studying at Scripps, you will be able to smoothly transition to studying as a med student.
  10. The support staff are excellent! DeEttra is very involved in guiding you along your journey at Scripps. When something goes well, she's there to cheerlead for you; when you have a setback, she's a great first contact to sort out how to address the problem. She keeps you on top of when to get each part of your application submitted, when to get your references and she helps coordinate your applications to medical school (in addition to many other things!). You already have enough things to worry about during your postbac year - it is incredibly helpful to have someone in the administration that is actively advocating for you.
  11. Location! Scripps is stunning. Claremont has sunshine 300 days out of the year, there are foothills to hike, mountains to ski, waves to surf, roads to run - don't discount that. You won't have to dig your car out every morning and battle a new cold every other week.
  12. Cost. Scripps' Postbac program costs approximately $43,000 with 13 months tuition and the MCAT course. This is comparable to other private postbac programs.
Regarding Negative Postbac Experiences and Negative Posts on Student Doctor
The pressure that you will put on yourself to get good grades can be intense. The MCAT is stressful. Are there things that will be negative about your Scripps experience? Undoubtedly. But you could also likely say the same thing for every school you have attended, every job you have had, etc. etc. Try to keep this in mind when you read negative comments about any postbac program.

The Application Process
Scripps admits students who have demonstrated maturity through their past academic, career and volunteer accomplishments. They admit students that they believe will be able to successfully complete the program with high marks and then gain admittance to medical school. There is a competitive admissions process to the program in part because it pre-screens students that it thinks will be most successful in the general med school admissions process.

I found Scripps to be a supportive, positive and balanced environment that allowed me to succeed. The program is only as good as the students who attend and I hope that this post can be of assistance to anyone who is currently going through the process of thinking about/applying to Scripps Postbac Program. You are the ones who will continue to make this program as good as it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I completed the Scripps Post-Bacc program as a pre-dental student. (Class of '14, if you are reading this, you know who I am. Hi friends!)
Having finished the dental school admissions process, I could not be happier with my decision to enroll in Scripps, which helped me receive an offer of admission from my top choice school.

My reasons for choosing the program were:
  • Timeframe (1 yr) vs. 2 years at a typical post-bac program. With an inevitable "glide year", I jumped on the opportunity to start dental school a year earlier. It is very difficult (or impossible) to fit the required courses into a year at other institutions.
  • Small class size/ collaborative atmosphere
  • Reputation of the program
  • Advising: knowing that I wasn't "missing anything" was important to me.
One important take away: Scripps isn't a "factory" post-bac program. I learned during the interview process that many admissions committees unfortunately view formal post-bac programs (read: expensive) as churning out a lot of students to turn an easy profit, without giving the students any real benefit in the admissions process. Scripps is NOT one of these schools: the small class size and selective admissions process is acknowledged by admissions committees and was a good talking point during my interviews. I can honestly say that my experience at Scripps had a significant impact on the application process.

A former student said the she viewed her year at Scripps as a very special opportunity...you are fortunate enough to have a whole year to devote to changing the future direction of your life, and that's not something to waste. Sure, that year wasn't always sunshine and rainbows, and was stressful at times, but not more stressful than what can be expected from the first year of medical or dental school. If you treat it as your job for the next year--to make the most of the opportunity--you will not regret your decision.

I you are a pre-dent with questions about Scripps, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which medical schools are linked to Scripps?

According to their website, Scripps links with:
  • Drexel University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
  • George Washington University, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, DC
  • Hofstra North Shore LIF School of Medicine, Hempstead, NY
  • University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
  • Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Pomona, CA*
(link: http://www.scrippscollege.edu/postbac/becoming-a-doctor)
A far cry from what Goucher and BM offer, but definitely not terrible. It'd be nice if they could add some west coast linkages, but I'm guessing if it was a possibility, it would have happened by now.

• George Washington University, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, DC
  • Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Pomona, CA*
A far cry from what Goucher and BM offer, but definitely not terrible. It'd be nice if they could add some west coast linkages, but I'm guessing if it was a possibility, it would have happened by now.
Thank you. Good to know.

There will likely not be a linkage to a UC by any postbac program in the near future. The demand for CA medical schools is so great that they have little to no incentive to offer a linkage option. Most medical schools that offer postbac linkages use them to bring diversity to their class that they might otherwise be lacking - especially older students and students with unique career and personal backgrounds. I know that Mills has a good relationship with UCSF and a couple students get into their program every year but they do not have a formal linkage.

The admissions counselor from one of the UC medical schools made a very good point during an information session at Scripps, so allow me to paraphrase her. Basically, if you get into medical school, it doesn't matter where it is, if it's in the frozen tundra of Kalamazoo or the swamp of the Everglades, you should go. Do not look down your nose at it. And she was 100% correct.

One thing they don't tell you during your postbac year is that where you go to medical school really doesn't matter once you've gotten in. (Yes, I am sure that it matters in many intangible ways, but bear with me). What does matter are the Step 1 Board scores you take at the end of your second year. Those will have an exponentially greater influence on what specialty you end up choosing, where you get a residency and where you end up practicing during your career.

Just because you go to a UC medical school doesn't mean you'll get a residency and end up practicing in California. And just because you link to an east coast medical school doesn't mean that you can't do your residency and practice in California. Something to keep in mind...

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I wanted to apply to Scripps Post-Bacc Program this coming fall. For those of you who were accepted or applied in the past, if you have any advice I would really appreciate it.

For applying to Post-Bacc Programs in general--How many programs did you apply to and of that number, how many were you accepted to?

For Scripps specifically--How many volunteer/shadow hours did you have when you applied? Does the career you were in prior to applying and how far you went in that career have anything to do with your acceptance?

Thank you!

Hi everyone!

I'm from a small island in the Pacific and I'm interested in pursuing dentistry. However, I feel I'm not a competitive enough applicant. I graduated with a BS in Bio in 2017 and have work experience at an orthodontic clinic. I feel my best option right now is to get into a post bac program. One program that caught my eye is SCRIPPS. Just a few questions...
1. Anyone here been through or is currently going through their program as a pre-dent?
2. If so, what was the application process like?
3. How is the program?
4. Do I need to take the DAT in order to apply?
5. The program's website states it's mainly for individuals who have a change of professions. Have individuals attended this program as an academic record-enhancer?

I went to this program. It was a terrible experience. Professors are inexperienced and borderline incompetent, classes do not prepare you for the MCAT, advising was subpar, the atmosphere surrounding the program was unfriendly, and the administrative coordinator was a major b. Many strange personalities at this place. Additionally, the students were cliquey and taking classes with undergrads was not a positive.

If you're attending this program, do not expect it to be at all pleasant and I recommend only going if you're interested in the linkages (keep in mind that even if you meet the requirements on paper, this does not mean you'll get in because you'll still need to interview, and many students are denied admission at the interview.) I wish more than anything that I had chosen a different program.

Last edited:
I echo your sentiments about this program wholeheartedly. I have more comments to add. The program administrative coordinator was not only a b, but she was totally a liar, a cheat, and incompetent. The students are major cheaters, and the program knows it and encourages it. When I confronted her about the cheating, she told me to make the system work for me. One student slept with an undergrad who worked in the school's testing center to get access to the answer keys. Students would share answers to exams. For example, if the Tuesday group took the exam on Tuesday, they gave all the answers to the Wednesday group. Then vice versa. Many students would lie that they could not take an exam so that they would wait until they could get the answers. I was berated by the program coordinator many times because I was young. There were bullies in the program who pushed their agendas to get their linkages. The linkage program was very weak, and all pre-arranged by the incompetent director. She thinks she has a lot of contacts in medical schools. All a lie. Medical schools are smart enough to see how she is so dumb. There is no support. Another student slept with an undergrad organic chem TA so that she could get the answers to the labs. Some students pass on all the old tests to incoming students, and those students keep it within their inner circle, so they look really good to the program director. There is so much more, I am trying to put it out of my mind and move on. FYI I did link, so my gripes are only because I completed the program ethically but it was a miserable experience.

Wow. I'm sorry you also had such a miserable experience. Congratulations on linking though. I hope you're having a more pleasant experience in medical school. I had no idea all of what you mentioned was going on behind the scenes, but it does not surprise me.

Last edited: