Scrubs for Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alohacat319

c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I tried looking in the search bar but couldn't find anything. How does it work with scrubs in vet school in terms of required colors etc? I was thinking of buying some new ones for my current job, but if I am going to have to turn around and buy tons more next year at school, it doesn't make sense. So basically just wondering if they require certain colors or you can wear whatever you have. I know it's probably school dependent, but just trying to get a feel for it. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably a school dependent question. I wore a bunch of different colors on the rotations that required them. Same for the occasional wet lab the first few years. Other schools might have different requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Odds are that most anything will work for anatomy labs and stuff first year. By the time fourth year rolls around, you may not even be the same size, so I wouldn't worry too much. But yeah, it would be school dependent.

Members don't see this ad :)
NCSU is Ceil Blue only for students. The teaching hospital is hard core about it (anything having to do with the teaching hospital/clients is ciel blue). For our class laboratories (no client contact), anything goes. As mentioned previously, school specific rules. You won't need many pairs throughout your pre-clinical years.

Also, for the scrubs you'll need for anatomy lab, they can be old/junky. Double check with your school of course, but I'm fine with my stained/bleached scrubs. However, I will not wear the particularly grubby ones to class. I'll change into them prior/after lab. Rotations? You'll want nice sets in whatever colors your school allows.

WesternU lets you wear whatever but all bets are off once you get to clinics. I really recommend against buying patterned scrubs because I, and faculty, think they look unprofessional and there's a 99% chance you won't be able to wear them in clinics, even for the most lax rotation.

NCSU is Ceil Blue only for students. The teaching hospital is hard core about it (anything having to do with the teaching hospital/clients is ciel blue). For our class laboratories (no client contact), anything goes. As mentioned previously, school specific rules. You won't need many pairs throughout your pre-clinical years.

Definitely
school-dependent, then. At Oklahoma, most of us used lab coats and old clothes instead of scrubs for anatomy.

OP, you're probably fine getting a couple of pairs without worrying about the color. I'll second the recommendation for solid-colored scrubs.

Odds are that most anything will work for anatomy labs and stuff first year. By the time fourth year rolls around, you may not even be the same size, so I wouldn't worry too much. But yeah, it would be school dependent.
Off topic but this made me laugh and then get a little sad. 3rd year in vet school, size changed drastically from 1st year. Hooray for poor eating habits, sitting in a classroom all day, and not making time for activity.

Off topic but this made me laugh and then get a little sad. 3rd year in vet school, size changed drastically from 1st year. Hooray for poor eating habits, sitting in a classroom all day, and not making time for activity.

Happens to the best of us. My weight fluctuated a lot during 4th year depending on whether I remembered to eat (in excess at times) or forgot (while running around like a mad person). It was hard to keep my tool let thing where it fit.

I've actually been losing weight steadily since classes started. Living off of student loans has forced me to stop eating out and I cook pretty healthy food. Hopefully that continues through the next 4 years...