Scrubs question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blueshirts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for the hot take on scrubs. I've been given the choice between 2 styles of scrub pants: the typical pant with 2 front pockets and a draw string waist band, and a cargo-style pant with button front/zipper access waist. Any opinions or experience with either style is welcome.

Here are the links for both:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a fan of having too many pockets. It doesn't look as streamlined or clean. I don't you can go wrong with either one, color is more important than anything else. If you can, go with black. Makes you look slimmer, you can't see blood, and it just looks cool/un-hospital like. Only thing I don't like about the figs is that it makes my butt look big and you can see the outline/bulge of your junk more. I got figs as a gift, and as much as I like the feel, I don't like waving my junk in front of the patient's face. I'm assuming you're a guy since your links are both for Men's scrubs.

Agreed on the black! I wish I had black, but darker colors are much preferred.

I have some with and some without the zipper. The zipper is super nice, I get annoyed when I wear my scrubs without the zipper.

Pockets don't matter - you're not a nurse carrying a bunch of supplies from room to room.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are similar sentiments to how I also felt. Personally I like the aesthetics of the pants without all of the extra pockets, but can see how the cargo shorts would have some merit simply because of the zipper, which I believe the other pants lack. Thanks for the advice and heads up on what to expect.

Reactions: 1 user
Figs are definitely the hot trendy take right now and they're super comfortable. I wish their cargos had a drawstring hem though because I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Personally, I've worn black Koi scrubs for the past 5 years in private practice. I'm an outspoken fan of their millions of hidden pockets that I stash with my pens, phone, notebook, facemask (shhh don't tell anyone), and headlight battery. They're the only nice scrub pants I know that have a drawstring hem on the legs, which I tighten generously to give off the jogger pants-style look that I think looks cool (I don't think the men's Figs jogger pant looks quite as professional).

I'm 5'10; 155 lbs:
(Koi Jason scrub top) <-- I wear small size (I normally fit into M cotton t-shirts)
(Koi James scrub pants) <-- I wear small size (I normally fit into size 31x32 jeans)

Last edited:
Agreed on the black! I wish I had black, but darker colors are much preferred.

I have some with and some without the zipper. The zipper is super nice, I get annoyed when I wear my scrubs without the zipper.

Pockets don't matter - you're not a nurse carrying a bunch of supplies from room to room.
How effective are pants with the drawstring/zipper with being able to use the drawstring to tighten the pants?

Figs are definitely the hot trendy take right now and they're super comfortable. I wish their cargos had a drawstring hem though because I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Personally, I've worn black Koi scrubs for the past 5 years in private practice. I'm an outspoken fan of their millions of hidden pockets that I stash with my pens, phone, notebook, facemask (shhh don't tell anyone), and headlight battery. They're the only nice scrub pants I know that have a drawstring hem on the legs, which I tighten generously to give off the jogger pants-style look that I think looks cool (I don't think the men's Figs jogger pant looks quite as professional).

I'm 5'10; 155 lbs:
(Koi Jason scrub top) <-- I wear small size (I normally fit into M cotton t-shirts)
(Koi James scrub pants) <-- I wear small size (I normally fit into size 31x32 jeans)
That top is really good looking, definitely stands out

How effective are pants with the drawstring/zipper with being able to use the drawstring to tighten the pants?
The drawstring works like any other drawstring, the zipper stops at the waistband.

The drawstring works like any other drawstring, the zipper stops at the waistband.
Ok, great thanks, I was concerned that the drawstring would not be effective because I'll have to have pants that are a over sized along the waist in order to accommodate for getting a pair that fits the hips area.

I'm not a fan of having too many pockets. It doesn't look as streamlined or clean. I don't you can go wrong with either one, color is more important than anything else. If you can, go with black. Makes you look slimmer, you can't see blood, and it just looks cool/un-hospital like. Only thing I don't like about the figs is that it makes my butt look big and you can see the outline/bulge of your junk more. I got figs as a gift, and as much as I like the feel, I don't like waving my junk in front of the patient's face. I'm assuming you're a guy since your links are both for Men's scrubs.
What's the point of being a dentist if I can't flaunt my junk? smh

Why wear scrubs when you can dress like legendary lecturer and naturalist Steve Climber. (nsfw)

Ok, great thanks, I was concerned that the drawstring would not be effective because I'll have to have pants that are a over sized along the waist in order to accommodate for getting a pair that fits the hips area.
I actually just bought another set of Figs scrubs, these ones with the zipper and it's a different style. I'll get a picture for you a little bit later this evening. I haven't worn them yet so no comments on how they work vs the other ones that I've had.

I actually just bought another set of Figs scrubs, these ones with the zipper and it's a different style. I'll get a picture for you a little bit later this evening. I haven't worn them yet so no comments on how they work vs the other ones that I've had.
Wow that's awesome and more than I can ask for, thanks a lot.

I just want to say I actually like having pockets, especially as a dental student they're helpful, you can stash the keys for your locker or drawer for your sim unit, carry a pencil/pen, your phone, and I also clip the light for my loupes on my scrub pant pockets. It honestly makes a difference for me, whenever I wear a pair without any pockets or pockets that are inaccessible it's always annoying trying to find a place to put everything.

Also, idk about either of those styles, I haven't gotten any scrubs from Figs but I want to say that I actually prefer pull on pants with an elastic waistband pants over any drawstring/tie waist types, they are way less of a hassle and you dont have to adjust them as much and I find that they tend to fit better too

Sorry for piggybacking this thread, but I am trying to decide on which scrub brands to buy from, so I thought it would be related to this thread.
Can anyone recommend scrubs that have a soft, cotton feel to them (NOT Figs though...looking for alternatives) and not that glossy, flimsy feel of polyester? I like the Cherokee Core Stretch scrubs, if anyone has experience with them, and that's the best I've come to, but I'm wondering what other brands there are with a similar/better feel. Thanks!

Wow that's awesome and more than I can ask for, thanks a lot.

These are the Cairo style.
I've found that with this style, the drawstring is somewhat less effective, but it works just fine. Its a compromise I am willing to give to have the zipper.