SCS and chiro adjustments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timeoutofmind

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you advise pts against having adjustments with perc leads implanted? (Possible risk of migration, lead fracture?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you advise pts against having adjustments with perc leads implanted? (Possible risk of migration, lead fracture?)
I don't stress it after a 2 - 3 month implant period for scarring/fibrosis.

I ask them to make sure the chiro knows there are wires and things in their spine. I do ask them to minimize high velocity adjustments or crazy twists.

I also give them a generic don't get locked into someone else's snake oil when you could have mine talk.

Oh and a paper with a small case series:

After three months, no concerns. I have patients snowboarding and hiking with 30-pound rucksacks with implanted SCS devices.

After paddles, I've seen patients develop thoracicalgia that usually resolves with TPI's and myofascial release.

After three months, no concerns. I have patients snowboarding and hiking with 30-pound rucksacks with implanted SCS devices.

After paddles, I've seen patients develop thoracicalgia that usually resolves with TPI's and myofascial release.
Speaking of paddles, do you or anyone here place paddles or is that mostly a neurosurgery thing? I’m guessing most everyone does perc leads only. Additionally, are paddles that much superior for lead migration, etc to percs?

Speaking of paddles, do you or anyone here place paddles or is that mostly a neurosurgery thing? I’m guessing most everyone does perc leads only. Additionally, are paddles that much superior for lead migration, etc to percs?
Paddles are only done by surgeons. They do not have anywhere near the migration risk for multiple reasons. Doesn't mean they work better though.

Be careful with Abbott paddles; they're very large and are difficult to place much of the time. Poorly designed.

I don't stress it after a 2 - 3 month implant period for scarring/fibrosis.

I ask them to make sure the chiro knows there are wires and things in their spine. I do ask them to minimize high velocity adjustments or crazy twists.

I also give them a generic don't get locked into someone else's snake oil when you could have mine talk.

Oh and a paper with a small case series:
Thanks much! Very helpful.
I typically just give people 6 weeks of movement restrictions post implant.
Are you guys giving 3 months of restrictions?