SCS for spinal cord injury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Local hospital played an ad during the Super Bowl marketing the *research* being done on using stimulators to help paralyzed patients walk again. I wonder how many people are going to be confused and think they can start using this now.

After a lot of googling around I think the studies (at various clinics) are being done using Medtronic.T3-4 placement.

My patient’s husband just got enrolled in a stimulator trial to improve Parkinson’s gait.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I saw a discussion on this probably 2-3 years ago as the local U was doing some research. The take home that I got was that not much in the way of walking/increased mobility but especially people with thoracic injury noted significant improvement in trunk control which lead to in particular easier transferring and much shorter bowel programs and personal hygiene tasks. almost all the patients were excited about this even if they didn't walk better.

there is some case reports of benefit of neuromodulation.

i have tried a handful of times to get stims approved for paraplegics with spinal cord injury for pain with a success rate of zero - insurance is the roadblock.

Reactions: 1 user