Second Bachelors while completing my MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colby11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated in 2013 with a B.S. in Public Health, took a year off and worked in research and I'm currently enrolled in a MPH program in Epidemiology. Becoming a doctor was not in my plans, but after working in clinical research for a year I found my calling.
Even though I have minored in Biology I do not have the complete set of pre med pre-requisites medical schools ask for. And after considering post-bacc program I came to the conclusion that getting a second bachelors would be a more affordable and viable option for me. The thing is that I'm currently enrolled in a master program and I intend to finish it, as it will be beneficial both for admission to medical school and my career. I have taken a good amount of courses my first and second semesters and for this reason the rest of the semesters I have left are not very loaded. So I could totally take a couple of pre-med classes, while going to graduate school as well.
I was wondering if getting two degrees or going to two schools at once is something viable or even possible? Would the U.S. Department of Education give me trouble when disbursing financial aid? Is this something that has been done before?
Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting two degrees is definitely a viable option. I'm guessing you still have your Chem, O-Chem, and Physics series left to do. I wouldn't think that would require getting a second degree, but if it truly is the cheaper option, over say taking courses as a transient student, then by all means go for it.

You'd have to talk to the financial aid folks at your school, as I'm not familiar with the rules for financing a second degree. As for going to two schools at once, it's been done plenty of times. I did it as a transient student while taking my bulk of courses at another institution, but if you intend to get a degree, that's a whole other scenario. I"m guessing you have a specific school in mind. Talk to their admissions and finance folks, and they'll be able to guide you in the right direction.