Second Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starting Over

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a physician. I graduated 5 yrs. ago with a B.S. in biology and barely got out alive. My lack of focus and laziness earned me both a cumulative and science GPA below a 2.5. Due to my low GPA I was also discouraged to pursue a career in science. After graduation I worked in retail management and soon discovered that my true calling was to become a doctor. Now, I have deep regrets about the mistakes I’ve made towards my chances in being accepted into a medical school. I’m now wondering if I should just re-take most of my science courses over or try to get into a post-baccalaureate program. I have no obligations holding me back from doing this thing the right way this time. I just want to know if a second chance really exists in order for my dream to come true.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that I have seen people post on this forum about D.O. Schools and how they are very forgiving if you retake the courses that you did not do very well in. If you smash the ever living daylights out of the MCATS and you have awesome LOR's and EC's and volunteer experience, I think you could get into a D.O. school. There is even Caribean programs. I do not know very much about post-bac programs and how admissions look at them. I hope this was a little encouraging.

For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a physician. I graduated 5 yrs. ago with a B.S. in biology and barely got out alive. My lack of focus and laziness earned me both a cumulative and science GPA below a 2.5. Due to my low GPA I was also discouraged to pursue a career in science. After graduation I worked in retail management and soon discovered that my true calling was to become a doctor. Now, I have deep regrets about the mistakes I’ve made towards my chances in being accepted into a medical school. I’m now wondering if I should just re-take most of my science courses over or try to get into a post-baccalaureate program. I have no obligations holding me back from doing this thing the right way this time. I just want to know if a second chance really exists in order for my dream to come true.

yes....either post bacc or retakes. If you can afford a post bac might help as it will get you in front of the right people. Either way you need to rock the MCAT. IT can be done if you want it, but it will be a lot of work....never, never, never give up.

The one thing to note is that most formal postbac premed programs require a minimum undergrad GPA. You may want to retake some or all of your prereqs elsewhere before applying to a postbac. If you complete all the prereqs beforehand, then you can look at SMP postbacs.

Like the others said, it's never too late or too hard. You just have to want it.