second first author vs. second author

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone can shed light on how big the difference between second- first author vs. a truly second author.

I'm working with a resident on a case he saw in the hospital. At the beginning, he asked if I would like to help him with it in exchange for a second authorship. Since then, I've done a lot more work than we originally agreed upon. At first I was going to be mainly responsible for the case report, and he would read all the current articles and do the discussion.

As we proceed with this article, I am becoming more and more involved and it is definitely utilizing more of my time. I was thinking of asking him if he would name me as a second-first author instead of as a second author as we originally planned. The doubt in my mind stems from the fact that this will be my first paper, and I feel like my resident may be taking advantage of that fact.

Anyway, hence my question: Is it worth having a potentially awkward conversation to change from a second author (in a paper that will be him, me, and the attending) to co-first authors and the attending last. Even if we are co-authors, I would still let his name come first because I think that'd be a little childish if I insisted on alphabetical and thus, my name would be first.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a case report so in the grand scheme of things, nobody will give a s***.

That said, if your contribution is as significant as you make it out to be (admittedly a 50/50 chance), a co-first authorship or your being 1st author is reasonable.

But it's not worth a fight.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above. Plus, you already agreed to take second author. It's a frustrating situation but you have to pick your battles. If it's in an area you plan on pursuing for residency it's not worth getting on anyone's **** list. Case reports aren't really that big of a deal, being first instead of second won't take your app to the next level in anyone's eyes.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually don't think people distinguish between second authors and "second first authors". If you weren't listed first you are second. Most places simply don't parse the subtleties the way you are describing. The first name wrote the paper. The last name is the PI. Everyone else is just a Helper.

Reactions: 1 users
What is a second first author?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
I guess he means co-first authors. That being said it's a freakin' case report. No one gives a ****.

I guess he means co-first authors. That being said it's a freakin' case report. No one gives a ****.
There is no such thing as co-first author. There is the first author and then there is the second author, third author, etc. However, you can have a note saying two or even more authors have contributed equally (although one of them is listed as first author). In the grand scheme of things, a case report does not matter much. So, OP there is no point in wasting time on this.

There is no such thing as co-first author. There is the first author and then there is the second author, third author, etc. However, you can have a note saying two or even more authors have contributed equally (although one of them is listed as first author). In the grand scheme of things, a case report does not matter much. So, OP there is no point in wasting time on this.
Just for clarity, there is co-first authors: http://www.fasebj.org/content/early/2013/07/09/fj.13-235630.abstract

Last edited:

Meh. They (Conte, et al :)) can spin it all they like, but when people look at a publication on your CV, with you listed second, they aren't going to see you as the Co- first author, they are going to see you as the second author. Ones own posturing and how they footnote it doesn't make it so. You can't dictate how the industry is going to look at it. If you work someplace that does it alphabetically, change your name to Aaaron Aaaronson quick.

Reactions: 2 users