Second Time Rejectee- Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nysor_bttw

Cheetah pictures: Accepted.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy there!

Not meaning to spam, but I made this topic over in the what are my chances forum, not knowing there's a reapplicant specific forum. I figured this was a better place for input. A bit of background on me
  • Aggie graduate, Class of 2014
  • Molecular Biology and Psychology double major
  • This is my second time applying
  • Texas medical schools
  • I have just recently not matched to any of the four schools I interviewed at, but I am on every alternate list
If those alternate lists don't pan out, I'm going to have to go at this for a third time. Isn't that fun. :bang: At this point, I'm looking for what my chances are for next year. I don't really consider my first round applying as anything, because there were definite application issues. I chose an unprofessional picture, and I really think that shut me out of the schools I applied to. Everyone has some lapses in judgement, and I learned my lesson. This year, I changed that picture, rewrote an essay, and boom: four interviews early in the season!

My stats are all around pretty decent:
  • 31 MCAT, taken in April 2013 (9 PS, 11 V, 11BS)
  • 3.82 Total GPA, 3.8 sGPA (not counting any psych courses as science, higher if so)
  • Past research experience at jobs, but not major
  • Some shadowing, around 25 hours
  • Tons of quality ECs
    • College orientation mentor for 3 years- likely well over 1000 hours of big time leadership experience and people skills (peer leadership)
    • A&E committee Exec- 200 hours, planned and executed free entertainment for college campus and surrounding community
    • College student council- 4 years of event planning and helping students
  • Volunteering as an Assistant Scoutmaster for a local Boy Scout troop- 500 hours or so
Now, what I'm guessing you're all going to say is "WHERE'S YOUR MEDICAL EXPERIENCE MAN??"
I know, there wasn't much. Here's the kicker: I accepted a job right after submitting my application for this cycle that has changed that completely. I'm working as a clinical researcher at a highly respected clinic at the UT Southwestern Medical Center. While here I have:
  1. Clocked well over 100 hours of one-on-one patient interaction for study purposes (Interviews, consent, etc)
  2. Been directly involved in several research projects, and have authorship in 4 abstracts accepted to the annual AUA conference, as well as one publication with more forthcoming.
  3. Shadowed several surgeries and clinics, again over 100 hours.
  4. LORs from two physicians that I work for and have gotten to know very well, and one from the department chair (is this a good idea?)
The medical experience is strong with this one. At least, it is now. I've read on this forum that it is taboo to not change anything from the year before. Well, those are my changes so far, along with continued volunteer service and reworking my essays.

I've read that it could be my interviews that caused me to be shut out, but I have a hard time believing that. For three out of my four schools I interviewed at, my interviews were very professional and enjoyable. I do plan on working on my interview skills more, but could these really be holding me back?

So...how am I doing for next year, should this year not pan out? Give it to me straight, guys! What can I do to give myself more chance at success?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you restricted in applying to only Texan schools? This is totally hearsay, but I've heard that rarely do applicants accurately gauge their interview performance. You could have an average performance but felt great because the interviewers were super nice and responsive. Personally, I got accepted into one school when I thought I totally bombed it while waitlisted at another when I thought I aced it. I'm not sure how receptive schools are to update letters, but you could potentially update the two schools with your current medically related position and also the physician LORs.

I was this round. Having no interviews my first go, I figured applying to schools that already would look at me less for being a Texas resident wasn't doing me any favors.

Two of my three waitlists thus far (still waiting to hear from utmb) have allowed me to send updates, and I have a letter I worked on with my docs and a rec from one of them on the way. Making the most of it.

I really want to know what the reason was for not getting accepted. I've contacted schools and my advisor and all they say is I look great besides little experience. I hope it's that simple.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you learn after your 1st app cycle?

What was different in your 2nd app?

When was your TMDSAS complete?

When were you complete with secondaries?

Unfortunately your MCAT score is probably too old for the next cycle. Plan a retake before you reapply.

After my first app cycle? Don't use dumb photos. And I had a lot of things lacking on my application in the way of clinical experience and volunteer experience.

In my second app I worked to fill those holes. I wrote an optional essay which I had chosen to forgo the first time, and I chose a professional picture. I pursued shadowing and volunteer to fill in my gaps.

I was complete with secondaries early June.

The MCAT has one more application round on it. It's a good score and I'm not in much practice right now to be able to take it. I'll look into it's viability and plan on taking the new mcat if it's no longer applicable.

Are there any other opinions on this?

Why don't you just update each school with your new clinical experience?

I have done so. Let's hope it's enough to get me taken off the waitlist. Otherwise, I'm just looking for what I can do to make this third try a final and successful one.

can you apply for the Tulane anatomy program? seem like they have a fairly strong linkage to their MD program.

Suggest contacting the schools you've been rejected from and asking for feedback about the rejections. Something is wrong. Perhaps how you described the clinical research masks the actual patient contact.

I submit that you can always get more. Try volunteering in hospice or nursing homes.

Howdy there!

Not meaning to spam, but I made this topic over in the what are my chances forum, not knowing there's a reapplicant specific forum. I figured this was a better place for input. A bit of background on me
  • Aggie graduate, Class of 2014
  • Molecular Biology and Psychology double major
  • This is my second time applying
  • Texas medical schools
  • I have just recently not matched to any of the four schools I interviewed at, but I am on every alternate list
If those alternate lists don't pan out, I'm going to have to go at this for a third time. Isn't that fun. :bang: At this point, I'm looking for what my chances are for next year. I don't really consider my first round applying as anything, because there were definite application issues. I chose an unprofessional picture, and I really think that shut me out of the schools I applied to. Everyone has some lapses in judgement, and I learned my lesson. This year, I changed that picture, rewrote an essay, and boom: four interviews early in the season!

My stats are all around pretty decent:
  • 31 MCAT, taken in April 2013 (9 PS, 11 V, 11BS)
  • 3.82 Total GPA, 3.8 sGPA (not counting any psych courses as science, higher if so)
  • Past research experience at jobs, but not major
  • Some shadowing, around 25 hours
  • Tons of quality ECs
    • College orientation mentor for 3 years- likely well over 1000 hours of big time leadership experience and people skills (peer leadership)
    • A&E committee Exec- 200 hours, planned and executed free entertainment for college campus and surrounding community
    • College student council- 4 years of event planning and helping students
  • Volunteering as an Assistant Scoutmaster for a local Boy Scout troop- 500 hours or so
Now, what I'm guessing you're all going to say is "WHERE'S YOUR MEDICAL EXPERIENCE MAN??"
I know, there wasn't much. Here's the kicker: I accepted a job right after submitting my application for this cycle that has changed that completely. I'm working as a clinical researcher at a highly respected clinic at the UT Southwestern Medical Center. While here I have:
  1. Clocked well over 100 hours of one-on-one patient interaction for study purposes (Interviews, consent, etc)
  2. Been directly involved in several research projects, and have authorship in 4 abstracts accepted to the annual AUA conference, as well as one publication with more forthcoming.
  3. Shadowed several surgeries and clinics, again over 100 hours.
  4. LORs from two physicians that I work for and have gotten to know very well, and one from the department chair (is this a good idea?)
The medical experience is strong with this one. At least, it is now. I've read on this forum that it is taboo to not change anything from the year before. Well, those are my changes so far, along with continued volunteer service and reworking my essays.

I've read that it could be my interviews that caused me to be shut out, but I have a hard time believing that. For three out of my four schools I interviewed at, my interviews were very professional and enjoyable. I do plan on working on my interview skills more, but could these really be holding me back?

So...how am I doing for next year, should this year not pan out? Give it to me straight, guys! What can I do to give myself more chance at success?

Reactions: 1 user
Suggest contacting the schools you've been rejected from and asking for feedback about the rejections. Something is wrong. Perhaps how you described the clinical research masks the actual patient contact.

I submit that you can always get more. Try volunteering in hospice or nursing homes.

I will definitely begin doing that. I have also been looking into additional volunteer opportunities, as well as Spanish classes.

Is it seen as pestering if I ask the schools that have waitlisted me? I definitely don't want to do anything to hurt my chances.

The schools that I have contacted have not been giving me straight answers, I feel. They say I look good besides a lack of health care experience, which is not really the same situation anymore. Any tips on who to contact and what to ask to get a specific answer?

Overall, are there any other ideas on what to do except contact schools, and work on interviews? I've heard from several people that something is wrong, but no medical schools seem willing to open up to exactly what that might be..

With your stats, it's usually due to one of the following:
1-Not applying to enough mid-tier/lower tier program.
2-Poor LOR/committee letter.
3-Not enough healthcare/volunteering experience.
4-Applying late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I need to work on my letters!

Also have someone read over your personal statement.

Don't get too crazy with all the spanish classes and weird stuff just to try to get in. Don't do something unless you just want to do it for yourself. Focus on the meat and potatoes of the application. Grades, MCAT, Volunteer exp, Healthcare exp, and your interview skills. Ask for feedback from the schools you applied to. Providing them updates can be good networking if used correctly but it has no effect on moving you up the rank list once the interviews are done.

Don't get too crazy with all the spanish classes and weird stuff just to try to get in. Don't do something unless you just want to do it for yourself. Focus on the meat and potatoes of the application. Grades, MCAT, Volunteer exp, Healthcare exp, and your interview skills. Ask for feedback from the schools you applied to. Providing them updates can be good networking if used correctly but it has no effect on moving you up the rank list once the interviews are done.
I disagree with the idea that update letters do nothing. At the school I matched to, one of my interviewers was pretty tough on me about limited shadowing experience. I then failed to get a prematch from the school, but over the winter break, I completed 20 more hours of shadowing and wrote an update letter addressing what I had learned from the experience, which I sent to the Dean. He responded by telling me that it seemed I had been quite busy and learned a great deal during the break, and I matched. I believe to my core that the update letter was what got me in.
I highly advise you to send update letters, if you haven't already done so, reflecting on what you've learned, how it fits in with the school, and how it will inform what you do as a doctor. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Update letters have been sent to all who will receive them. They were a tad lengthy, but I wanted to drill in the idea that I really do know what's going on and that I am prepared for Medical School. We will see what happens.

In the meantime, I have met with my advisor (who is shocked at how this cycle turned out for me) and I will be meeting with the man who interviewed me at TAMHSC. He should be able to provide some really excellent information!

An update:

Talked to my interviewer at TAMHSC--interviews went amazingly. He went over, in detail, what they look for and how I met those requirements. He said the only deficiency in my application was experience, but that he knows that it has been fixed, and that I'm likely high on their list. This is coming from the dean of admissions, so I'm pretty confident in the information. I don't know if it is the same situation with other schools, but I'm certainly hoping so!

At this point, I would hazard saying that my read for interviews is solid. I've actually conducted over a hundred hours of them myself. If it truly is the lack of experience going into this cycle that is holding me back, then it is frustrating that I didn't get in when I sent updates letting them know that is no longer the case. Either way, my application will be solid for next year, and I was told I'm pretty much guaranteed an interview should I apply again.

In the end, it's not the end result but the process in getting there. I wouldn't have traded my experiences in college for anything, even if pursuing my interests there rather than shadowing and doing clinical volunteering kept me out of medical school for one or even two years.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all, I'm back. Looking at schools to apply to this time. I will of course be applying everywhere in Texas, including the two new schools opening up, but I was wondering where else I should look into.

I've done a quick look through the MSAR, and these were some I dug up:

Rosalind Franklin
Howard University College of Medicine
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
University of Arizona College of Medicine
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Chapel Hill School of Medicine
University of North Dakota

(Gyn^2 has spoken)

Thoughts? Additions, subtractions? Do I need more low tier or reach or whatever? I would really appreciate any input y'all have!

(Of course, I'm really hoping that this is completely unnecessary and that I hear back within the next two weeks, or even shell out $$$ and get accepted off a waitlist anyways.)

Last edited:
Hey y'all, I'm back. Looking at schools to apply to this time. I will of course be applying everywhere in Texas, including the two new schools opening up, but I was wondering where else I should look into.

I've done a quick look through the MSAR, and these were some I dug up:

Rosalind Franklin
Howard University College of Medicine
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
University of Arizona College of Medicine
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Chapel Hill School of Medicine
University of North Dakota

Thoughts? Additions, subtractions? Do I need more low tier or reach or whatever? I would really appreciate any input y'all have!

(Of course, I'm really hoping that this is completely unnecessary and that I hear back within the next two weeks, or even shell out $$$ and get accepted off a waitlist anyways.)

Howard is a traditionally black college. If you aren't a minority, it might be more difficult to get in there.

Whoops! Completely missed that... I thought I had caught all of the racial mission ones. That's striked off!

I cannot endorse your OOS list. U ND has a strong regional preference unless you are Native, UNC!, UNM! Kansas? None of these schools have probably interviewed a TX applicant in years who was not a scholarship candidate. For the most part your best bets are IS or OOS DO.

TX only had 192 applicants go OOS last year. Over time we have learned that TX interviews are a waste of everyone's time unless we plan to offer a substantial inducement to attend and I'm afraid none of the OOS schools on your list are likely to view you that way

Alright. I'm just trying to find more places to apply to. Applying to only Texas schools has not worked for me for two years now, and I'm not looking to be without an acceptance for the third time. Do you have any suggestions?

Alright. I'm just trying to find more places to apply to. Applying to only Texas schools has not worked for me for two years now, and I'm not looking to be without an acceptance for the third time. Do you have any suggestions?
TCOM and UIW.

Will certainly be applying to TCOM, though they showed me no love last year. UIW...I'm Jewish, so not likely.

If you're cool with DO, have you thought about other osteopathic schools? They are likely to be more open to you than those OOS state schools you listed.

I have, but I have no real DO experience. And with certainty I wouldn't choose one over a Texas MD school were I admitted, which really shouldn't be out of reach. I'm rather surprised I didn't get in this year, but I suppose it is still April!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got accepted off a wait list today! Super excited!

Reactions: 5 users
Texas A&M! Aggie grad to Aggie Doc

Reactions: 2 users