Second Year Salary Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Front

Supreme Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so most people have an idea what they will be making when they get out (in the low $100k range). But, once year one of real world experience is out of the way, how much does salary change in year two (if it does change!).

Is mid-$100k common in year two?

Members don't see this ad.

Now Ive heard mid 200's the second year out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would speculate that to be an exceptional case. What would be the AVERAGE/USUAL salary of a 2nd year out of graduation?
I would assume such person is:

- young
- ambitious
- takes good CE courses
- great personality
- willing to work more days/hours (why 4 days if you can work 5 or 6)
- no serious life obligations (i.e. married with 4 kids)
- negotiates a good contract (30-35% production)
- open to commuting to work at small communities
- etc.

Although mid-200k is pushing it a little, I would like to hear more from practicing dentists! :thumbup:

Now Ive heard mid 200's the second year out.

I forgot to add something to hint sarcasm. Mid 200s is over the average for a practice owner out for 5 years or more. But I know how these salary threads go on sdn. Go check the salary threads on dentaltown. Good growth early on is around 15%/year for the first couple years. If you start around 100 to 110 you can do the math.

I got the sarcasm, I was waiting to see it take off but you had to come back and point out your were being sarcastic. Dangit!

Yeah a 10-15% increase in pay (on production) after your 1st year sounds pretty reasonable.