second year???~!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi hi

Im taking biology,lab and Organic chem, no lab and intro to japnaese...

is this bad combo???
Everyone tells me im gonna die... with work.
because i have to take physics later... so any schedualing advise....

The confused freshman....=)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Popoman, actually that sounds like a pretty easy semester. What is that 12-13 credits? You could manage another class or two couldn't you? Why aren't you taking organic lab? Adcoms like to see you can handle the challenge of 15-18 credits every semester...something worth considering.

popoman:

I am currently taking organic, biology with lab, physiology, computer analysis, along with an independent study medical terminology class. I would say that organic and biology make the plate pretty full, but I do agree another class in there might help. I was told be a professor at DMU that the first semester of medical school there is nearly equal to 28 semester hours. Good Luck!!

Go Hawkeyes

Members don't see this ad :)
popo- I think most health professional programs (Med and Dental) require a lab with O Chem. Something you may want to consider if you are going that route.

really??? i thought bio and organic was a killer combo? or at least from what everyone is telling me... so you guys think i should take another course???
wow... but then i want to take less courses and get good grades isnt that good?? because i dont have a good gpa and i was hoping that this might help my poor gpa...???
any other advise???
o im taking organic lab second semester...is this bad too????

The confused freshman....=P

[This message has been edited by popoman (edited 03-28-2000).]

Popoman:

Don't worry about Organic Lab, I didn't take it until the second semester also with Organic two. Since you are a freshman going to be a sophomore, I personally feel that it is in your best interest to take just the classes you listed to raise your G.P.A. Unfortunately when a person is trying to get into medical school, they aren't allowed many "bad" semesters. I wouldn't take another class if you feel that it will hurt your G.P.A. and you need to raise. Don't take yourself out of the game this early. Take the classes you listed, work hard and try to raise the old G.P.A. and I am sure you will be fine. Another suggestion is to look into a community college class over the summer. I have taken classes over the past couple of years and they help raise and maintain my G.P.A. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!!

Go Hawkeyes

Popoman, the trick is to take a challenging courseload AND succeed in it. One of the tricks to doing this is to plan your semester wisely. By this I mean don't only take difficult courses but also take a few you may be able to "slack off" in and still get a good grade. Don't get crazy and take 6 hardcore science courses (been there) but take 2-3 science lecture courses, a lab and a few "not to time consuming" courses.If professor X is known for being very tough, take the easy professor Y. Talk to people who've taken these classes and get old exams. This way you'll still look like you "killed" yourself, "on paper" that is, when in fact you didn't have that bad of a semester. Hope this helps.

hawkeye i have a question..

about that community college...
what is a easy course to take to get an A??

The confused freshman....=)

Popoman:

That is a rather tough question for me to answer considering I have no idea what subjects you excel at. I would recommend NOT taking any science classes that are required for medical school (biology, organic, physics) because I do believe that the Ad committee looks down on this, but other than that it is virtually all open. Classes I have taken are: psychology, Art Appreciation, Introduction to American Politics, and Calculus. I would recommend a class in psychology. At my university the psychology class had 1400 students in the class, so getting an A was rather difficult. Just look for a general education requirement that you need to meet and take that class. Hope this helps!

Go Hawkeyes

really hawkeye?
Dang! i took all that at my community college, but i take all the immunology and virology and anatomy,etc. at a 4 yrs university. Do you think these will win me some points with Adcomm overall the bio, phy,and orgchem that i took in community college??

Connie:

If you went to a community college and took those classes and went on to a four year university and continued with the pre-med courses, I really don't think that will hurt you. I am not on any Ad Committees, so it is real hard for me to give a definite answer. I have just heard that if you go to a four year university and take your organic, biology, etc at a community college during the summer, the committee looks down on this. It is like you are "trying to find an easy way out." If you took them at a community college and continued to do well at a four year institution I don't think this well hurt your chances at all. Once again, it is just what I think and have heard. I may be wrong.
frown.gif
Does anyone else know the answer to this question?

Go Hawkeyes

Popoman

your class combo is not bad, the important thing is to LEARN the material. Take what you can handle.

On the community college issue: it is okay to take some classes there, but do NOT take any of your Pre-med classes at a community college. The reason is exactly what hawkeye said about how it looks bad. Not only does it look bad but you will not get the intense organic, bio, genetics or physics need to ace (or do well) on the MCAT.

Have your main focus be to understand the materal in any class and the grades will follow. Your undergrad is the prep for you to rock on the MCAT.

Never look for the easy way, take the bull by the horns and ride.

Good luck

I guess it depends on where you do your CC classes at. Although I didn't take many premed courses at the CC I attended, these were some of the toughest courses i've ever taken. Some of them much harder than the ones I took at the university level.

If it's looked down on? I think the trick is to be consistent. If you do good at the CC level you better do good at the university level as well.