Secondary Advice - Already mentioned Hobby/Activity conflict?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HybridEarth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am currently pre-writing secondaries for some schools. One of the questions asks to talk about an activity or hobby I am interested in, and why. I wrote about my musicianship as a most meaningful experience already. Would it be recommended to...
A) Repeat information on my primary
B) Write about music in a different light (I don't know how much else I can really talk about it since my primary covered every reason I was interested in it)
C) Talk about another hobby such as fishing or amateur astronomy

Any advice would help, especially if you have had success in this area before.

Thank you kindly SDN, as always.

Members don't see this ad.

It's okay to talk about things both in the primary app and secondaries as long as it's relevant and you don't repeat what you said verbatim.

Reactions: 1 user
It's okay to talk about things both in the primary app and secondaries as long as it's relevant and you don't repeat what you said verbatim.

Cool cool, thank you wise one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @WedgeDawg . Try to use this essay as an opportunity to reveal a new facet of your personality. Use new vocabulary and anecdotes if you can. Adcomms's can have a short attention span, and if they start seeing familiar material, they will skim and maybe miss a nugget you throw in at the end.

I agree with @WedgeDawg . Try to use this essay as an opportunity to reveal a new facet of your personality. Use new vocabulary and anecdotes if you can. Adcomms's can have a short attention span, and if they start seeing familiar material, they will skim and maybe miss a nugget you throw in at the end.

Awesome, thank you kindly!!!

I'd vote for the amateur astronomy.... rather unusual and something that might make adcoms think you'd be an interesting person to talk to. Fishing... not my thing but some adcoms might be hooked by it (oh, the pun -- please forgive me). On the other hand, some schools that are not near good fishing might fear that you'll reject them in favor of a place with better opportunities for your hobby. Then again, maybe fishing is a once or twice a year thing in a good trout stream... in any case, you can't go wrong with bringing in something a bit different from the primary.

Reactions: 2 users
The puns in here are pretty... Punny. Thank you all kindly as well, I think I'm gonna stick with astronomy to avoid rambling.