secondary app question: "how man post-baccalaureate courses did you take"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chayadoing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took 5 postbac courses as a non-matriculated student, and ten as a masters student in biochemistry. Can I say I took 15 postbac courses? (This is asked by Mt Sinai, for example). For me, they were closely spaced together and similar in difficulty. I plan to describe how my MS in biochemistry was my way as a poor student to pursue an informal postbac.

Please note I am on Medicaid, received Pell grants, fled anti-LGBT violence from my family and used to be homeless so I couldn't and still can't afford an SMP or a formal traditional postbac. I pursued an MS in biochemistry in part because it's cheaper and I can also use it for other forms of employment.

Members don't see this ad.

The correct answer is that you took 5 post-bac courses. This is clearly shown on your AMCAS application and is easily verifiable so don't try to claim that graduate level work is post-bac.

I hope that you checked the "disadvantaged" box on the AMCAS application to better describe your situation. This may also come up in the adversity or diversity prompts in some secondaries.