Secondary Applications timeline question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ziggy08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I plan to apply to med school during the 2007-2008 cycle, but I will be doing volunteer work in Ghana from July 1st to Aug. 18th. When do med schools send out secondaries, and when are the deadlines? Are these applications mostly paper or online?

Thanks,
alisa

Members don't see this ad.

Usually with in a week after you submit your primary, you get a secondary app. They are usually completed online.

Usually with in a week after you submit your primary, you get a secondary app. They are usually completed online.

Those are pretty bad days to go away. Most schools get the primary application on July 1st (it's officially the first day schools download your Primary). And month of july/ early aug will be the days where you buzy writing those damm secondary essays. Yes I would say close to 50% are purely online, while another 50% are paper (where you down the secondary online and then submit it via mail, sometimes only the signature page)....

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are pretty bad days to go away. Most schools get the primary application on July 1st (it's officially the first day schools download your Primary). And month of july/ early aug will be the days where you buzy writing those damm secondary essays. Yes I would say close to 50% are purely online, while another 50% are paper (where you down the secondary online and then submit it via mail, sometimes only the signature page)....

oh, yikes

Is June 1-30 that much better, considering that I'll possibly get Internet access to submit the primary sometime during those dates?

Can someone please answer this question?

Thanks

Ok, June would be better. Finish your AMCAS before you leave and submit it, because you're going to want to do a good job on it and I don't think you'll be able to during volunteer work in some jungle. Then when you get back in July get right on the secondaries.

June should be pretty good timing so that you're away during the period of time when med schools are just reading your stuff. Maybe your volunteer work would be a nice distraction from the whole waiting game. :)

oh, yikes

Is June 1-30 that much better, considering that I'll possibly get Internet access to submit the primary sometime during those dates?

ya junes better. get your primary done by end of may and enter all your marks on to AMCAS...so all you have to do is press enter during those months. and check to make sure AMCAS calculated your GPA correctly.

And when you come back July 1st, all you have to do is fill out those secondaries.

Make sure you get your LOR ready though (lots of ppl hand these late). Schools wont mark you as complete after you hand in your secondary till they get those LORs...

if you dont have a committee letter, check out interfolio.com...