Secondary Grades - AMCAS vs. Transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roboyce

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started working on my secondary application for Columbia today. Much to my dismay, I found that I have to reenter my courses and grades, just like we did on AMCAS. My question is this: What GPA and grades should I use? I have one set of grades from my undergrad transcripts and then the set as computed by AMCAS...not to mention the fact that my school doesn't use semester hours. For example, for a normal course, you get one credit...that's it. No credit given for labs. My gut tells me to use the AMCAS data because, at least in theory, they have already leveled the playing field with the course hours given and calculated GPA. Unfortunately that won't match with my transcripts. Any thoughts? I think I will end up calling them next week.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that may be because Columbia used to have a separate application from the AMCAS system. Both Columbia and NYU used to have their own application and held no affiliation to AMCAS. That changed in the past couple of years, so things may be different now. Why don't you email the admissions office or call them up and ask if it is necessary and if that is just part of their former application?? See what they say.

I hope the answer is as easy as skipping that section, but unfortunately, the application is labeled as the 2006 application. You have to have an AMCAS ID number to apply, so obviously all of this work is on top of the AMCAS. In other words, they will have (1) a copy of your transcript (2) a copy of your AMCAS grades (3) a copy of your grades as listed on their secondary. I guess they just want to be sure... I will call on Tuesday and post the results if anyone else is curious. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

In case anyone was curious, which is probably like 3 people, Columbia wants you to use your AMCAS grades and course hours on their secondary rather than what appears on your transcript.

Also, in the section that asks for collegiate ECs and awards, they only want collegiate stuff. For anything other than that (non-trad) they want a separate document uploaded and attached. Sweet.