secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candydoodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound dumb but I was looking through last cycles secondaries and came upon this question for FIU med school:

"Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities for the application year. Character limit 600 (including spaces)"

Can someone please explain to me what this means? Exactly what activities am I suppose to put? Or do they just want to know if I will be a full-time student or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is just to determine if you're a full-time student or not. They can probably gather that from other parts of your application. I think they just want to know what you're doing with your time. Obviously, they expect the answer to be very different between students and people who are not currently in school. However, even if you are a student, it would not look good if you had nothing to say to this. I kind of wonder if this is partly a way to determine that you didn't bank on at least one acceptance and drop out of most of your activities for the upcoming school year since you can't list them on the AMCAS anyway. For example, they want to make sure that a student who held an on-campus job, volunteered at a local hospital, read to blind nursing home residents, and was a member of three campus clubs for the last three years didn't all of a sudden go to having only membership in one campus club and none of the work or volunteering on his resume for the upcoming year.