Secondary Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aauv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a mistake to mention the names of a couple of researchers I would be interested in working with in a secondary essay that asks "Why do you want to go to school here?". When I am talking about how the school aligns with my research interests, it seems natural to provide a specific example or two. However, I could see how this could be negatively construed.

Members don't see this ad.

From my limited opinion (also writing secondaries) I would see listing a couple researchers as a positive, since those are concrete reasons why you would go to one school over another. I think it also shows that you researched the school and its strengths/weaknesses carefully.

However, I could see how this could be negatively construed.
How so? Struggling to think of why...

I suppose focusing too much on researchers may suggest you are only interested in contributing to the PIs lab rather than the school's community (remember, MD only adcoms are probably gonna look at your app too).

However, I think it is more reasonable to think you merely did your research well so long as you also mention other reasons (like the school's community,etc.).