Secondary to Primary App Ratio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fmpak93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this question is too subjective or asks for too heavy of an approximation, but what would you guys say is the average ratio. Meaning how many of X folks who apply to a school through AMCAS to X school do the secondaries for X school.

Maybe .85 to .90 ratio for in-state students applying to in-state schools and .60 to .70 for students applying to an out of state school?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen the stats published for many schools except for Emory. They state that last year they received 7463 applications, and 5642 were completed. So roughly 75% of people who submitted their application completed the secondary.

Wow - that is crazy. Why would people pay to add a school to their primary and not send in the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow - that is crazy. Why would people pay to add a school to their primary and not send in the secondary?
too burnt out to write anymore essays i suppose

6159/9524 fill out Loyola's. I imagine most people fill out those without essays but for schools like Miami, that number is probably pretty low.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow this is a great question, I didn't suit one secondary last cycle but that was due to monetary reasons. I would want to know this too.

This is a pretty good point. I was actually surprised at this difference as well. This means for most schools, their "acceptance rate" includes people who didn't even finish the application process...

At the same time it still makes me feel uneasy for some reason XD

Oh well

You mean does? =P

That's pretty cool that they do that. Michigan did that too on their Twitter Feed. But sources like MSAR and most schools that I've seen for "class profile" data include the total verified applications. Hehe
Hey if it means an extra 2% chance of getting accepted I'll take it. ;)

I was thinking about this the other day (when I didn't feel like filling out my secondary :rolleyes:). I wish this would show up on the MSAR somewhere, but doubt it would be any help in the long run. Other than knowing there's actually less people to compete with.

I think this is relevant to the question: for the schools that screen, does anybody know how many secondaries they send out compared to the number of apps they receive?

Reactions: 1 user