Secret to 10+?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMachine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I have taken Kaplan FL 1-5 and averaged a solid 25 on them with a decent split of 2 eights and 1 nine (changes every time; sometimes 9 in VR, sometimes in BS, sometimes in PS). Afterward, I've taken AAMC 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 - same average score of 25. I'm aiming for US MD and I know the scores are way too low right now. What's the best way to push the 8-9 in BS and PS into the 11-13 range? I have full access to the Kaplan materials (I took the prep course). I'm just stagnating right now and my test is April 24. I know I can hit the 11-13s and that 30+ score - i just need some advice on what to do. Each time i go over a test, say AAMC 8, i'll have a few small/easy mistakes that I can get rid of (1-3 / section). The other 10 are from various tough passages and questions. Any and all advice is appreciated. I'm willing to try new strategies, go over old exams from a new angle, etc. Thanks and good luck to all test takers!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Though it is sometimes easy to make mistakes, minimizing these mistakes can only be eliminated one way - practice. You want to go into the MCAT having done as many practice problems as possible. Simply knowing the material is not enough - you need to do questions, and determine why you got the answer right/wrong and learn from it. I've found TPR hyperlearning to be a good source of practice material. Bottom line, the more you practice, the less you will make those easy mistakes.

The first time I took the MCAT I got a 24. My AAMC averages this time around have been 31-36. I haven't taken the test again but the difference for me was that I was doing endless practice problems.

I will add that one strategy I have incorporated that has seemed to work well is to take 20 seconds to address all the figures in the passages after I have read it. Look at the axes - are the units km? cm? m? mm? Were the results as expected or different from the info the passage gives you? Before looking at the questions I try to come up with a "conclusion" for each figure given. Taking time to do this doesn't waste time because chances are you will have to come back and look at the figure anyway. I used to get questions wrong all the time because I didn't interpret the figures correctly. I think doing this has helped improve my scores immensely. Hope some of this helps.

Reactions: 1 user