Secretaries - Worst Part Of Interview Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier on this year, I had to setup an outside rotation. I started the paperwork early, and over the course of a month, I think I called one institution's secretary about 50 times before she finally picked up the phone. I couldn't leave messages because I was doing a rotation at the time, and cell phone are technically not allowed. Getting the paperwork done was an even bigger nightmare, and looking back on it I think it was more hassle than it was worth. But it foreshadowed my application process.

I applied to ~40 programs, and received about 17 interview offers. I would say if you call a particular program's secretary, there's a 95% chance they won't pick up, and if you leave a message maybe half the time they actually call you back. And it may not be a prompt return. One day, I got a call from a secretary of a particular program, and she said that I had left a message. I was really confused and didn't know what to tell her, until I realized that I had called her about 10 days ago to reschedule an interview, but in the meantime I had just ended up rescheduling another to accommodate a third interview.

I'm not saying it's all bad. Certainly things get done. Thank god for email. Most of these secretaries (or "program coordinators") at least respond to email in a day or two...

Of course, there's a particular program that I've needed to reschedule for over a month now. I emailed the secretary in early December. No response. Called a few times - her phone goes automatically to voicemail. Left a message. No response. Sent another email a week later. No response. All of a sudden today, out of the blue, she calls and leaves a message on my phone regarding my interview this Friday. I call her back immediately and leave a message, and since then I've been sitting next to the phone - unwilling to leave my chair, and with strict instructions to all my family members that they are not to even touch the phone. My day is basically gone now. Will she call back today? Probably not. Will she call back when I repeat this whole charade tomorrow? Probably not.

It's not just this one anecdote. There's a half dozen I've got which I could bore everyone with about some of these secretaries making my application and interviewing process a nightmare. This isn't the first afternoon I've spent sitting next to the phone. You can't lose your cool or complain about it, because you're not "in" yet. From what my Dad tells me, the attendings themselves are scared of these secretaries at academic institutions because they have little power to hire/fire them regardless of their work performance.

Well, it's back to waiting for me. These secretaries suck harder than traveling in winter weather, ratty hotel rooms, and airline delays that screw up your connections.

Members don't see this ad.

Oddly enough, I just called the above secretary probably for the tenth time today, and she actually picked up the phone. I was sooooooo tempted to mention something about the myriad emails, calls, messages, since early December, but I held my tongue. I'm all set for this Friday. :cool:

Six weeks before finally getting in touch with the secretary. I challenge you to beat that.

It's not just this one anecdote. There's a half dozen I've got which I could bore everyone with about some of these secretaries making my application and interviewing process a nightmare. This isn't the first afternoon I've spent sitting next to the phone. You can't lose your cool or complain about it, because you're not "in" yet. From what my Dad tells me, the attendings themselves are scared of these secretaries at academic institutions because they have little power to hire/fire them regardless of their work performance.

Wish aProDirector read this and make her PC work harder!:laugh:

Wish aProDirector read this and make her PC work harder!:laugh:

Wow, sucks that you're having that experience. Mine couldn't be more different -- all of the program coordinators I've dealt with have been extremely responsive and very helpful. Heck, one of them even makes it to the night before dinner, circulates among the applicants and tells them who they're interviewing with, giving them a heads up about each interviewer's particular interests and rough edges. Perhaps it's just the fields we're applying in? I'm trying to get a gen surg residency. What are you going for?

Anka

Mmm...

Okay... my experience.

Program coordinators are a reflection of the way the program director runs the program.

An evil sith lord program director will indeed have a vicious program coordinator. Rarely will a malignant program director put up with a nice program coordinators and vica versa is true. PCs pretty much know what they can get away with and they realize how much the PD cares or DOES NOT CARE about the applicant.

So... if a PC treats you like a$$... 99% of the time the PD will be a vicious person (even if they appear awesome infront of you during an interview).

Don't read my words wrong.. I don't blame PCs for being vicious... I blame the PDs for allowing them to be vicious. Allowing a PC to be vicious can come from two things: a) You are a tyrant with your residency program and pretty much treat all residents like 6 year old children to the point that you will let anyone step on them (including the PC who quickly senses that if residents are ants then the residency applicants are smaller than dust mites) or b) The PC is soooooo overworked and the program refuses to give her help or even allow/ask some of the residents/faculty to help and she turns into a vicious beast.

Tread carefully if you encounter a or b. A is the worst clearly and is very common for General Surgery, OBGYN, IM and FM residencies. :scared: Usually those are programs that know they got their applicants by the balls so to speak because they can snap their fingers and replace them.

Of course there are horror stories but there are also super wonderful PCs out there...I had trouble scheduling an interview with a place that I liked, and when a slot opened up, the PC called me asap. Many "worried" about how I would get home or get to/from the airport. So, well, I appreciate that a lot.

Every single one of the PC's I have encoutered have been hard working, and extremely nice and helpful! One even picked me up from my hotel to go to the night before dinner so i wouldn't get lost. And incidentally, I am applying to OB/GYN;)

since the PD is often in charge of a lot of day to day things for residents, u should probably be a little careful. if she doesn't have time to answer ur call, maybe she wont have time to get things done to help u out as a resident. i guess its important to know if that would affect things like noon conferences, etc. in our program it wouldnt, but im not sure about other programs.

Probably OB/GYN.

all of the PC's that i have encountered during the obgyn residency interview trail have been wonderful! some came to the night b4 to make sure things ran smoothly, and one gave her personal cell phone number in case we needed her.