See if you know how to do this Chem problem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benman44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3)
What is the net ionic equation for the reaction between aqueous silver nitrate and aqueous potassium chloride?
A) AgNO3(aq) + KCl(aq) → AgCl(s) + KNO3(aq)
B) Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) → AgCl(s)
C) K+(aq) + NO3-(aq) → KNO3(s)
D) Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + K+(aq) + NO3-(aq) → AgCl(s) + K+(aq) + NO3-(aq)

AgNO3(aq), KCl(aq), and KNO3(aq) are strong electrolytes and so the ionic equation is Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + K+(aq) + NO3-(aq) → AgCl(s) + K+(aq) + NO3-(aq)

K+(aq) and NO3-(aq) are both spectator ions and are eliminated to yield the net ionic: Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) → AgCl(s)

question about this one why is B the answer instead of C. Whats deciding that AgCl will join making the others spectators instead of KNO3 joining and leaving ag and cl as spectators?

Members don't see this ad.

I think i figured it out, is it because the solubility rules everything in group 1 is soluble no matter what as well as No3 ClO4 and Acetate NH4, but Ag hg and Pb are insoluble unless paired with the first molecules making AgCl insoluble and the others spectator ions... Boom!

I think i figured it out, is it because the solubility rules everything in group 1 is soluble no matter what as well as No3 ClO4 and Acetate NH4, but Ag hg and Pb are insoluble unless paired with the first molecules making AgCl insoluble and the others spectator ions... Boom!

You make it sounds very complicated lol.

This is your equation.
AgNO3(aq) + KCl(aq) → AgCl(s) + KNO3(aq)

1st: Break everything down to their ionic form EXCEPT AgCl(s) because its solid.

Ag (+1) + NO3 (-1) + K(+1) + Cl(-1) → AgCl(s) + K(+1) + NO3(-1)

2nd: Ag (+1) + NO3 (-1) get canceled out. Leave you:

K(+1) + Cl(-1) → AgCl(s) which is B.

Oh sorry I didn't read your question right.

SOLUBILITY RULE

1. Group I metal, NH4, NO3, ClCO4, SO4, C2H3O2 (acetate) are soluble.
2. Pb2+, Ag+, Hg2+ are Insoluble.
3. -OH are slightly soluble.

(1) and (2) --> AgCl (s) and KNO3 (aq)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea what was getting me was that i though KNO3 could just as well be joined, but i forgot that K and NO3 are very soluble and would remain ions

AgCl is not soluble while KNO3 is soluble in water.

K+ and NO3- appear on both sides so they are the spectator ions.

All that is left at the end is AgCl (aq) -> AgCl(s)