See My Stats. Judge My Chance For Ortho Anywhere In Usa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saraman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi EVERYBODY,

This tread is from now on about giving advice to foreigned trained dentists how to get into a specialty program. after AEGD

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on a lot of things. If you are the stereotypical Svenska hottie, that will take you far. :D

Your NDBE is 90, how about your class rank? If you rank 1st in your class, have a supermodel look, you might have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
tinker bell said:
Your NDBE is 90, how about your class rank? If you rank 1st in your class, have a supermodel look, you might have a chance.

Hi,
I was surprised to see you mentioning, if some one has a super model look carries you to get a specialty place. Can some one enlighten me on this.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

saraman said:
...What I really want to know is...what do I need to do to get into an ortho. program? ...I don't like the state I am going for AEGD but it's a start.

As an international graduate, you will be up for a tough competition. Only about less than 40 international graduates end up being ranked by a program, and then only half of them get matched. You need to appreciate that it is a very tough competition to get in, although it is not impossible.

Where are you going to start your AEGD residency? Sometimes the institution where you do your AEGD residency may have an ortho director who may be more approachable than program in a far far away state. Speak to her or him.

If possible, get your Part 2 out of your way. Most people look at 85+ for part 2.

B.

saraman said:
Hi
Can anybody give me advice where I can get into an ortho. program if I am trained dentist from Sweden, worked in London for a year, got accepted in AEGD program, part one score 90, got green card.
What I really want to know is...what do I need to do to get into an ortho. program?
Got alot of Nay answers from different universities this year..both Ortho, and IDP programs....so I am down...what do I need to do...I don't like the state I am going for AEGD but it's a start.
thanks for your advice

I know that a couple of schools in the northeast specifically won't accept people from Sweden, Belgium, and Luxembourg. It's a fact: kinda weird that they single out those 3 countries though.

Ok, here's some trivia for you about sweden. This is true. Everyone knows about swedish bikini models and all that. But on average, swedish girls have the smallest breast size when ranked against all other european countries. :confused: Not that I don't like the small boobies, just thought it was interesting.

saraman said:
Hi everyone..
my God ...could we concentrate helping me here instead of assesing swedish girls bra size???..... thank you

Are you calling me sexist?! Listen, that thing I said about bra size is strait up the truth. I saw it on discovery channel.

saraman said:
Do you think I should like register for the match thing phase 2 to get in to a program in a better state like for example Texas.....?

Hey,

If you are accepted into a program, just focus on completing it. AEGD is not a 3 year long program, it's only 1 year(!). Anyway, it's too late to participate in MATCH now (you missed the cycle, if you haven't already sent the application by October).

What gives you an idea that there is a better state for AEGD? Each program may have its pros and cons. Best decision is to go and visit each program that you want in.

saraman said:
Hey!
you are funny....LOL hheeheeeee haaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

okay ....soon I am gonna irritate people around me...heeeheeeeeee

Are you being sarcastic? If not, I think you and I should go on a date. Are you gonna be in the Northeast?

I don't know much about match and AEGD, but let me tell you a little story. BlueToothHunter said that "as an international student, you will be up for tough competition." Well, ortho is tough for anyone to get into. But being international doesn't make it any harder. When I interviewed at Case Western in Cleveland, one of my interviewers was like the dean or something. Our interview was really relaxed, and he had a list of all the people who had applied to ortho right in front of him. It was strictly names, where they live, where they went to school, GPA, and board scores, and it was multiple pages long. It was really weird cause he showed me the list and flipped through it for a few minutes - pointing out people who were interesting and might be invited for an interview. Strange, I know , but true. Anyway, as he went through he pointed out this guy from a Chinese dental school (his name was like XioQiang), and said that they always try to have international people in at least one of the spots. Pretty cool.

But I don't know, do you intend on living in the US after you specialize, or would you move back to sweden?